Ich Spots

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Ich Spots

Post by Sandy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Now here's another topic.... My blue hippo gets ich when I do alot of fragging or moving things around in my tank. Anyone else have this problem? Also, do you treat for ich or do you let nature run its course??? I did not treat mine and the spots were gone in less than a week. Maybe I am just lucky.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: Ich Spots

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Other than the most delicate of butterflies, blue tangs/regal tang/flagtail surgeons have long been thought of as "ich prone". I once had a competing retailer drop off a whole box he was shipped by mistake gratis at a shop I worked at because he didn't want them in his tanks. On the other hand, a customer with three 300 gallon tanks had one for years that was nearly ten inches long and healthy as a horse. If you've had this one a while, it's not being harassed or stressed by sudden environmental changes (besides you messing with the rock work), I would be tempted to wait a few days to see if it will abate on its own. Are there other, more "delicate" fish in the tank showing any signs?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:22 pm

when I took that course at the university offered by Dr Gratzek, they had done studies proving fish develop a immunity to even ich, so your tang may pop up with slight infection only to cure itself having had the parasite before.
My personal BLue tang experience is once you have one that survives it once they are almost impossible to kill

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

From your personal experience,,,, that's good news for me. Beck and Lloyd might not be able to put a heebie geebie death hex on my blue hippo... :mrgreen: