My New Sump Design

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

My New Sump Design

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 am

Any suggestions would be helpful. These drawins aren't to scale, but you will get the idea. I am also thinking about adding a fourth chamber to the right side that will be taller than the refugium chamber, it will be the water holding chamber for the auto top off. I don't have the dimensions on the drawins yet as this will depend alot on the foot print of the new skimmer. The first section to the left is the skimmer section, middle is the return and the right is the refugium. I am going to make this with 3/8 inch acrliic.

1st pic this is the over all design of the sump

2nd pic this is a view from the front. I have two questions about this pic. Should the first baffle on the left in the skimmer section be taller? The second question. The two horizontal lines in the pics, the one in the skimmer chamber is for probes and the one in the return section is for my auto top off probe, I have these mounted at the same height as the baffle walls to their sides, is this right?

3rd pic

What you are looking at here is the yellow band around the top of the sump for support, itwill be one solid piece and will be around 2 inches wide.

4th pic

What you are looking at here is the wall between the refugium chamber and the return section.

5th pic

I saved this pic for last, I am not to sure about this idea :) this is the box thats in the upper left corner in the first pic of the sump. Water drains from the DT into this chamber down thru pieces of live rock, breaking up the bubbles that the drain from the DT creates then under the chamber and into the skimmer section. I figure this is a good idea, but :) I want a filter sock also, what do ya'll think? Well thats about it, give me your thoughts.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: My New Sump Design

Post by Gerwin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:51 am

from left to right
get rid of the box, they have things already to hold filter socks
1st baffle needs to be a height suitable for the skimmer specs
2nd looks ok
3rd should be about a inch lower than 1st
get rid of support around top of tank, not enough pressure to worry about it
I would not waste the time with the grid on top of refugium either but if I wanted it I would just put some egg crate on top of glass
Probe hangers ok
The end

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 am

:lol: The Beginning :lol:
The sump will be some where around 50 inches long not counting the maybe, top off water chamber. Thats why I was figuring on a brace across the top, but if you say it dosn't need one, let it be so.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 am

What are you using to glue the acrylic together? And where do you get it?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Redfish wrote::lol: The Beginning :lol:
The sump will be some where around 50 inches long not counting the maybe, top off water chamber. Thats why I was figuring on a brace across the top, but if you say it dosn't need one, let it be so.
50" only 8-10 inches water height, and the refugium on end = very little pressue :wink:
&
acrylic cement is what you use, Sandy

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 pm

http://www.melevsreef.com/

Very good web site

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 am

guy has a nice set up,
well thought out advice guide...but I do not necessarily agree 100% with everything stated, not the he is wrong just my take is a little different and such is my advice.
That being said I encourage all who read this to first explore your local aquarium store, find someone who is close to what you have read or you believe in and go with him / her and their advice. Nothing can get more difficult then trying to help someone who is using 5 different thoughts of attacking their tank for setup or care and trying to stay on the same page.
I know I have a hard time remembering what everyone is doing different, then when they have questions its more difficult for me to figure out when I do not see or have no idea whats going on.
I am open to new thoughts and hope to learn something everyday and I think all should have that mentality in this hobby if not life itself, but you also cannot bounce around with different methodology.
UNLESS you have already achieved success with a certain method and are in the exploring stage each person must make that decision for themselves.
Did not mean to hijack Redfishes thread and will probably move this section to another title on Gerwin's mindfield when Doug gets me my talking points thread on here! but until I pay him I guess he can take his time... :lol:

Red fish this is not aimed at you btw more you made me write what I have been saying for years to customers as it what comes to mind when I venture to other sites

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 pm

I can relate to what Gerwin is saying and he makes very good point.

I consider myself to have some descent knowledge about the hobby and at times my complete custom set-up was very challenging in the set-up stages...everything is good now, but that wasn't the case a few months ago.

If I could do it all over again...I would! I would spend a little more money and buy a manufactured sump.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I have found someone to build this sump for me, maybe, I have to get him a set of plans and wait for a price. I don't have an equipment room so everything is going to have to fit under my tank. Thats why I kinda want to have one sump that will include the skimmer, return section, refugium section and a top off water section. I would like to keep it all in one tank if I can. I know I could have the top off water tank all by its self, just figure it would be kinda cool to have it attched to my sump. I just have to figure out all of the measurements, thats the hard part. :) I have been thinkin :x do I really need three baffle walls in the sump between the skimmer section and the return section if I am going to use a filter sock. In the sump I now have, I just have two baffle walls with a sponge filter in the second chamber, which I took out when I started using the filter sock. What I was thinking was that I could put alittle space between the first baffle wall and the second one, then I could put a few small pieces of live rock in that space and that should break up any bubbles from getting into my return section and keep them out of the tank. I could also then just have my filter sock in my skimmer section. I could also be worrying about nothing. I have never had a problem with micro bubbles but I have read about a bunch of people who have had major problems with them.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 am

Gerwin, I am just wondering, what are some of the things that you don't agree with from his web site. I kinda figured sumps were kinda straight foward. Skimmer section, return section, and a refugium section if you want to go that direction. Put in as much water in the sump as you can, the more water in your system the better off you are. Now, you maybe talking about things that you don't agree with in his Display Tanks, but I really haven't read anything on his site other than the sump section.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:57 am

it had nothing to do with his sump I went and looked around his site at many of his thoughts.
you stated to
"http://www.melevsreef.com/
Very good web site
"
so I checked out his site not just the sumps :lol: it is a GREAT site as it appears he is tracking his personal tanks for all to see on month by month or so bases and he has many tanks and all sizes, obviously very knowledgeable person, my reading was on the what it takes to get started in a saltwater aquarium, his opinions. Just as I have mine and many will not agree with them.
Again it merely got me thinking about things I have said for years and just decided to type.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:12 am

Ok, I see. I was only looking at the site as it pertained to the sump section. I should have said that, lol.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 am

I redid the plans and I am sending them off to the Acrylic shop today.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Might be too late to add 2 cents but:

1. I agree with Gerwin, you don't need the extra bracing unless its made of really thin material. Your partitions will keep your center from bowing.

2. The partitions look awfully high. Looks like you will be running the sump very full, make sure you have enough room to hold any water that will end up in the sump during maintenance or power outages. I personally try to keep my sumps no more than 5/8 full when in use.

3. Not sure how much water you plan to flow through it, but all the partitions are going to dramatically decrease the amount of water you can move through it, at least quietly.

I have designed a few sumps for my own use. The first designs were very elaborate. I now use very simple sump designs with 2-3 partitions at most.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 am

I was also wondering how much this sump would hold during a power outage also, as we can have alot of those around here, :x This is how i figured how much the sump would hold, thats not a good thing when I go to figuren :roll: . The first section on the left, the skimmer section at normal operating depth 18x16x8 (without the skimmer in the section) 10 gallons, skipping the baffles and moving onto the return section, normal operating 13x16x7 6.3 gallons. Total both compartments 16.3 gallons, but like I said that is without the skimmer in the sump. Lets say the power goes out and the sump starts filling up. The total size of both the skimmer section and the return section without the baffle section is 31x16x17 ( I am getting the 17 inch from the brown divider on the right side of the return section) that would be 36.5 gallons. 36.5 minus the 16.3 normal operating depth leaves me being able to add another 20.2 gallons to the sump. Now that only is up to a 17 inch high baffle, the sump is 21 inches tall so I could really add another 8.6 gallons to bring it up to the 21 inch level and could still add more if you figure that if the water kept rising before it would overflow the sump it would also add more water into the refugium section and the top off section of the sump, I figure the sump empty will hold 87.3 gallon. But, like I said I could be figuring wrong. The part of the sump where I am really concerned about the noise is the over flow from the refugium to the return section. There is a 10 inch drop there, I just don't know what to do about it.