Road Trip

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Re: Road Trip

Post by Sandy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:42 pm

This looks like one of those read the fine print things.....

KENT MARINE NITROGEN SPONGE is a granular zeolitic medium that directly adsorbs ammonia in freshwater and fosters anaerobic bacteria growth to reduce nitrate levels in both marine and freshwater aquariums.

Isn't this kinda what the live rock does???? Or am I on the wrong page???

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 am

Maybe we can get one of the pros here to give their thoughts on this.

phisher
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by phisher » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 am

I have never had nitrate issue in a tank with live rock as the primary bio filter, like Sandy said, the anaerobic bacteria in the rock is a natural nitrate remover....and I am a terrible over feeder who does water changes 3-4 times a year.

This would be a great product to use with something like a trickle filter that only supports aerobic bacteria.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 pm

well I will say this,
Kent Nitrogen Sponge has been around along time, it is not a new product...at least I do not think so, as there are so many products out there making these claims....
But assuming I am right (and I am pretty sure I am) if it worked so great we would all have been using it for years and noone would even have a nitrate issue today in their aquariums.
Besides they are not fibbing the title says nitrogen remover well nitrites are a form of nitrogen and when aerobic bacteria form on them they will break it down and if anaerobes are near you may get some denitrification as well.

Now for a bit if something NEW, Elvis bought a bag of NP pellets a month ago and came in the store today telling me how well it worked, in his 225 tank primarily fish he said his nitrates were pegged of the scale of the common test strips we use and 4 weeks later they are about 80ppm and he is watching for them to even go further down. He put them in his FX5 Fluval canister filter.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Isnt that the same thing that gerwin sells now? the little white pellets, the description of how it works sounds the same, absorbs ammonia and provides a place for the bacteria to grow? i think I am talking about the NP pellets that gerwin mentioned? I think they are like 80.00 a bag or something.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 am

Put me in coach, I wanna go too!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm

I called Andy and told him that there are several people over this way that want to drive over to his place. He said as it stands now, next Sunday afternoon between 1 & 4pm would be a good time for him. Sooo, if this sounds alright, we can meet at my house and take my wifes new car, :lol: Give me a call and let me know I am sure we could go one evening after work if that woud be better, Andy said he dosn't get till around 5pm
Last edited by Redfish on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoohead
Swordtail Member

Post by Zoohead » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 am

Im game!

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 am

sounds good to me. i will give you a call later. sorry i missed your calls btw :-)

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 pm

you should be cautious about posting your number on the internet. use pm instead

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 am

I still want to go...I'll give you a call Pete!

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 am

Ok, if this sounds good to all, we can meet at my house around 12:30 Sunday. Zoohead, give me a call and I can tell you where I live. Gz28 and C-21USAF you both already know where the house is at. Takes about an hour to get over there.

Zoohead
Swordtail Member

Post by Zoohead » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:12 pm

Need a number. Just pm it to me. Or have Jason gimme a call.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:58 am

You have PM coming your way.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Wait is this wedding dress Andy?