Dosing Pumps "Ready to Go"

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Dosing Pumps "Ready to Go"

Post by Redfish » Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 pm

I got the BRS dosing pumps mounted and ready to go today, the only problem I had :oops: was that I was trying to put the hoses in the pumps in upside down and couldn't get the plastic cover back onto the pumps, it also said to grease the hoses, wasn't sure how much greese to use, but they are greased :lol: . I also got the Calcium, Alk, and the Mag. mixed and in their jugs. I don't really know how to use these pumps, I guess all you need to know is how long to set your timers for to dose the sump and for that you need numbers :) and I have those for you. Calcium 400, Magnesium 1280, Alk. 3.20 I don't know what this next number is, I got it off of the ALK test, KH value in dKH 9.0. I went to the BRS web site and put the calcium number into their calculator. They said, I want to keep my calcium around 420 and to do that I need to dose 510.2ml. I wasn't able to put the ALK number into the calculator, to do that you need to know what :roll: a good ALK number would be. I am about as far as I can go with this without any help :lol:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Dosing Pumps "Ready to Go"

Post by Redfish » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Well, I did a bit of checking today, and from what I have gathered, if I am right. My numbers aren't that bad. I was thinking I might not need to start the dosing pumps right now and to just keep doing some daily readings to see how much calcium the tank is using so that I can dial in the dosing pumps after I figure that out. Right or wrong?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 am

sorry I am late on the reply was beat yesterday after being at the field all day
and yes those numbers are good, so now write those down and the day and in a couple days test it again and write those down and continue this until you see a drop so we can determine how much ca/alk you are dropping over a period of time and then we can figure your dosing needs

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 am

That will work. I guess I need to come in and pick up a few SPS corals to help in using some of that calcium up :lol: .