My Freshwater setup

Share Photos of Your Fish and Aquariums
Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

My Freshwater setup

Post by Damion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Okay,
Now that I have some color in my tank, I feel a little better about posting pictures.
Don't laugh though...I have a reef background that I inherited with tank :-)

Note that these are the "public" links on Facebook - they are posted to the Fish Stuff group on Facebook.

My full tank (55g)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =682847939

My "freshwater reef"

My Severums (I think)

To be continued.....forum says I have too many links...

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: My Freshwater setup

Post by Gerwin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:04 pm

after seeing this photo, you have convicts for sure.

Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Post by Damion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Ah-ha - did a quick search for pink convict and I found my pretty one - the other one just looks like a fancy brim, lol

Okay, so my first assumption is that they are both males (taken by the fact that they have never bred and I saw a male convict that looked almost identical to it). It does throw me off because the pink one has very long flowing fins (it just looks pretty and girly)

Now that we know for sure the type of fish:
1. What else can/should I add to the tank?
2. What other types of fish can I add to aquarium? (I like colorful fish - and I like tiger barbs)
3. If I got a pink convict of the opposite sex, would they breed? or since these two have been together for so long, have they formed a bond that will not be broken?
4. Assuming the answer to 3 is yes, should I? Reason I ask is because I would love to see them breed and swim around etc, but at some point the tank would get crowded and I would have to make sure there is at least a small market for these fish that I could find homes for the overflow (potentially for years to come)

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 pm

they can be aggressive but I have seen them with other fish many times.
Do they breed in captivity? like Roaches! they can fast be more than you or any pet shop want, I have people wanting to give them away monthly. Most will feed the fry to some other aggressive fish.

Damion
Angel Member

Post by Damion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 pm

HAHA - I actually thought about that.
After doing a lot of research on cichlids and thinking that is what I had (well, I guess convicts are in the same family) - i thought it was kind of bad because I had too small a tank to get more and could not put others with them. Now, I am considering buying a larger tank (200+/- gallons) and doing a cichlid tank so I actually thought about that but was not sure if my wife would approve :(

I guess it probably is best that I don't let them breed because i honestly would not know what to do with them if they started over-powering the tank.

On my other questions - roughly what is it going to cost me to get some good cover in the tank (I want to really rock it out and make it look cool - keeping in mind I like color). I would like a live plant or two that the fish won't eat (trimming up fast growing plants is not a big deal, I sit 15' away from tank 12 hours a day).

I read that tiger barbs are generally okay because they are fast enough to get away from more aggressive fish but that I need to buy them in quantity (5+ is what one site said). I would also like some other fish to complete the tank.

One more question as well - do I need two large plecos in the tank? I am having to feed algae tabs and all they do is poop. I would rather something else like shrimp (I think I saw a freshwater shrimp somewhere) or snails but am concerned that the convicts will try to, or succeed at eating them.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 am

I'm liking the setup,,, Very nice. Pretty neat having reef decor and freshwater fish. :D