Road trip, sort of

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Road trip, sort of

Post by Redfish » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:41 am

:lol: :lol: I drove up to the Zoa Queens house yesterday, can never never get enough of looking at a great tank. Anyway, it just amazes me at the growth that she gets with her zoas colonys and it is something that I am trying to emulate in my own tank. I am trying to bring some of her ideas into the way I do things in my own tank. I have started by reducing my water changes to just one a month and my zoas have started looking better than they ever have, I am also starting to see some, not much, but some zoas growth. After yesterdays visit, I am going to step it up a notch and try another one of her ideas, I am going to start turning my skimmer off for about three days a week at the start, put my filter socks back into the tank on the days I don't run the skimmer and see what happens. What I should do is just sell the skimmer :lol: but I not prepaired to go that far just yet, but if I start to see zoa growth 8) it will be up for sell.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Road trip, sort of

Post by Redfish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 am

Update,,, The RBTA isn't liking having the skimmer being shut down a few days at a time and has been moving around the tank a bit, not far but moving. So even though the zoas are doing great and putting out some babies I am going to leave the skimmer on and just stick with less water changes.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 am

I guess there are lots of pros and cons to having a skimmer.... I know this will open up a whole bag of worms. :mrgreen: I think like with most things, not everything works the same for all the people. I guess it depends on what color your thumb is as to how your garden grows.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think mine is kinda blue,,,, cause I sure can't grow any tomatoes in my garden,,, and forget mint, darn near impossible! (2 things I love) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by guitarest » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 am

Sandy wrote:I guess there are lots of pros and cons to having a skimmer.... I know this will open up a whole bag of worms. :mrgreen: I think like with most things, not everything works the same for all the people. I guess it depends on what color your thumb is as to how your garden grows.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think mine is kinda blue,,,, cause I sure can't grow any tomatoes in my garden,,, and forget mint, darn near impossible! (2 things I love) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My tomatoes are taller than I am, all ya have to remember is to us plant crack (Miracle Grow) and anything will grow as long as it has light. I have been eating tom's since last april, I am actually sick of them. The birds are having a field day though, lol.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 pm

keep the updates coming