Adding live rock

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Adding live rock

Post by ReneM » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:49 am

I was told on another forum that adding in "new" live rock will cause my tank to cycle again. I need at least 10 more pounds in there. Is this true? Is cured rock more expensive? And how long does it take cured to get all good and grimy like the live rock?

Thanks!

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Re: Adding live rock

Post by Sandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Gerwin can correct me if I am wrong, but if you buy some of the live rock like Gerwin has in his big bins with water, it is already cured and will not cause your tank to recycle. I have bought live rock at several different times, added it to my tank and have never had a problem.
Hope this helps.
Sandy

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Or else cure it at home...10g tank or rubbermaid bin, some saltwater and a powerhead. Keep it in its own tank with some circulation/aeration and check the ammonia levels. Do regular water changes if its high, once its stable you are good to go. Your systems bio filtration should be able to handle it if its still putting off small levels of ammonia.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Check with David in the for sale section of this forum. He had a few corals for sale and I am sure he will be selling his live rock for $2.00 a pound. Nice rock and its already curred.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Thank you all :)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:25 am

sorry for the delay,
The rock we have is 95% cycled and most of the time 100,% if it smells good when you pull it out and you do not see a lot of plant or sponges, odds are its good to go. I know I just started my nano reef with the stuff in the shop with zero problems and polyps in there in less than 48 hours . That said its still a good idea (especially in a new tank setup) to give it a few days with some testing, or if it is a established tank make sure with me that it looks good to go and best if you add a few pounds a week depending on the size of the tank.
Sandy you are always safe because I see the rock you are adding and your tank is huge and a rock that is not fully cured will just be rapidly assimilated by the system, but you always get good rock anyways..

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 am

Thank you Gerwyn... I can't afford but a little at a time anyways lol... so it works out :)

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Gerwin wrote:sorry for the delay,
if it smells good when you pull it out
This :lol: