My pH is low...

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

My pH is low...

Post by ReneM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 pm

It has been at 7.2 for almost a week.. not going any lower, but not picking up either ... For the three months I have had these tanks pH has ALWAYS been great (Ns and Ammonia are fine).

Is there something I can do to raise it before buying something to put in there?

Also, how does pH affect the fish? How low is too low.. how high is too high?

Thank you!
Rene

phisher
Discus Member

Re: My pH is low...

Post by phisher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Yea that's really low for saltwater.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

Here is a good article on the subject including causes and fixes. I would personally try different test kit. Also test at different times of day, late afternoon it should be at its highest and first thing in the morning the lowest. Anything in the tank that might be lowering it? Decorations (driftwood) or some substrates could be a cause. Test you calcium/alk, I'm guessing these will be low too, if so start using a kalkwasser mix in your topoff water.

I would personally not add any PH altering chemical without testing your calcium, alk, and magnesium. Something that will raise your ph will effect one of these as well, getting your other parameters out of whack and causing other issues potentially.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 pm

More oxygen should raise PH...adding a skimmer will help if you dont have one and was thinking about it anyway. Of course there are plenty of other ways to do it.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Thank you :)

I have been there before but not seen that page. It has some good ideas, but I need some time to digest it... I never did take chemistry in HS... ack!

Thank you!