Yellowtail Blue Damsel Disappearance Mystifies Family...

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Yellowtail Blue Damsel Disappearance Mystifies Family...

Post by ReneM » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:16 pm

A north Biloxi family of five are pacing floors and contemplating putting up flyers for their missing Blue Damsel. "Blue" as he was affectionately known, was last seen in a small rock cave on Tuesday afternoon.

"He seemed happy, and healthy, though he did stay to himself a lot," his keeper said. "Then, he ... he just disappeared!"

A clean up crew had not yet been established in his tank, so the normal "usual suspects" are not available for questioning. One sea anemone is being looked at as a "being of interest", but he has also been staying to himself and was carefully watched this week. No evidence of Blue was found in his immediate area.

No other suspects are currently under question. Anyone with any information as to the possible whereabouts of precious Blue is asked to please post a response.

Well at least it feels like a story! LOL

guitarest
Discus Member

Re: Yellowtail Blue Damsel Disappearance Mystifies Family...

Post by guitarest » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:02 pm

No decay nothing? Maybe a hiding place you do not know about? I had feared my female crawfish had died after she was transferred to the new tank until a month later she just walked right on by on the sand like nothing happened; then she was gone again. But I do know her hiding place now.

Good luck on your search.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 pm

ReneM wrote:.
A north Biloxi family of five are pacing floors and contemplating putting up flyers for their missing Blue Damsel. "Blue" as he was affectionately known, was last seen in a small rock cave on Tuesday afternoon.

"He seemed happy, and healthy, though he did stay to himself a lot," his keeper said. "Then, he ... he just disappeared!"

A clean up crew had not yet been established in his tank, so the normal "usual suspects" are not available for questioning. One sea anemone is being looked at as a "being of interest", but he has also been staying to himself and was carefully watched this week. No evidence of Blue was found in his immediate area.

No other suspects are currently under question. Anyone with any information as to the possible whereabouts of precious Blue is asked to please post a response.

Well at least it feels like a story! LOL
LOVE IT! this is a refreshing post, makes me smile. Just remember all life dies and all life consumes the body. Watch the other fish look for reasons why it may have disappeared. Test water to ensure nothing is up and then we have to move on. Bring the family together say prayer and go on with life, Blue would have wanted it that way...

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:38 pm

LOL@ Gerwin... ty.. I hoped to get a smile out of poor Blue's demise!

No body parts were found... we did a good search today. Aside from having some minor pH problems, all seems good with the chemistry. I am thinking that it is more this: I read that this damsel needs at least two others in the tank to feel secure. He was hiding a lot, and there are a lot of holes in the rock I have. I am thinking he got stuck in one and died. This happened to my FW pleco, though I did find him in time. It's the only theory we got working for us at this point.

I'm glad you found your crawfish GR... I am hoping to get to know my critters this well too :) Until then, I guess I will have a little Blue PTSD every time someone disappears for a bit (I already did today with my gramma! LOL - he's back tho)