hi

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the members of FishyStuff Forums.
goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

hi

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 am

hi my name is jared thomas. i have a wife named april and a son who is one and a half named cohen. we started this year with a fresh water tank. Its a ten gallon cichlid tank. my son loves it and always wants to feed them :lol: . Now every time we go my son gets excited when he sees nemo. so i am trying to learn everything i can about salt water. I am very glad to join this forum and hope to learn as much as i can about fish and there enviroment. Thanks for reading and for all the help yall will be giving me.

Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Re: hi

Post by Damion » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:40 am

Welcome - there are a lot of cool people here...well as cool as one can get in the fishy world :-)
Everyone is very helpful. I am a newbie myself and loving it. I can tell you from everything I have read/heard/etc, 10 gallons is way too small for cichlids. The recommended size is 55+ gallons.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey Jared and welcome; I'm Jocko or the resident nerd. I work at home so I am here all the time and if I don't watch out Gerwin is going to put limits on my posting ability..... lol

I do not have a full blow salty either but I do have a native fish tank with local fish mainly in it like Croakers, Catfish, loads of different crabs, Spade fish etc.... It doesn't have as much salt as a normal tank maybe around 65% of the salt content.

This is a new thing for me also and the forum and Gerwin/Roger have been very helpful with advice. I would agree that a 10 would be too small and a decent tank would be in the 29+ range in size. If you listen to Gerwins (or the forums advice) it might take a little longer to finally cycle the tank and such but it would be a tank well worth the wait. I know that I have run into a few road blocks myself and the guys are always looking to help me any time I need assistance.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

thanks for the advice i will def. look into getting a bigger take for them. the dang people from another store said'' o that would be a great size to go with'' i guess that is what i get for listening to them lol :lol: thanks again i will take everything in