Mystery Critter in My Tank

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Mystery Critter in My Tank

Post by brianjoy81 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Im new to the saltwater world. The polyps on my toadstool leather have not been opening, so i started looking really close at it and i noticed where the mushroom folds there is a tiny clear critter sticking out of it. It looks like a hand with real thin fingers that keeps opening and closing and looks like it can turn about 180 degrees. It opens and closes pretty fast. Any one have any idea what it is? If so are they bad, and is my mushroom leather doomed? i just bought it about a week ago :( All my other corals are doing great and growing! Even the finger leather that is right next to the mushroom is extending and has a bunch of tiny polyps comming out of it.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Mystery Critter in My Tank

Post by Gerwin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 am

almost sounds like you are describing a sm barnacle or some other filter feeder and have seen them in hard corals but never on a leather coral. Perhaps a picture?

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 am

any news of your mushroom leather did you ever find out what it was

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Well I had Gerwin swing by my house to check it out, and he said it was a barnacle. I left it alone and a few days later it blossomed and was beautiful for about a week and now it is shrunk back down like it was a few weeks ago :( looks like it is sheading its skin again so hopefully it will open up again. All my other corals are doing awesome and multiplying. The 2 leather corals are the only 2 giving me a hardtime. Im new to the hobby so maybe thats what they are supposed to do. We shall see. Thanks for asking!

Brian

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:40 pm

that is awesome next time got to take some pictures and i am really new also just have been doing alot of research on everything glad everything is going good with it

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:05 am

why is this person posting all this bull crap on here

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:36 am

By the looks of this persons other posts, they appear to be hijacking the forums. Maybe admin can block this person,,, PLEASE????

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm

:clap: :thumbup: