Mystery Fry

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Tiffany
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Mystery Fry

Post by Tiffany » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Spotted 2 large fish eggs on one of my moss balls and put the moss ball in a breeder net 2 days ago. They hatched today and I have no idea what they are. They move pretty fast and stay under the moss ball. I have 2 siamese algae eaters, 2 roseline sharks and 4 panda corys that could be the proud parents. Has anyone ever raised these kinds of fish? I would appreciate any advise on raising fry from the egg. I have only raised live bearers.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Re: Mystery Fry

Post by Sandy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 am

That sounds very cool. Keep us up to date on what they are. :D

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:26 am

well damn.... the title got me,

I thought you were having some sort of cook out but we did not know yet what was going to be fried. I am betting Cory Catfish btw. Have seen them breed in captivity and with 4 the odds of having a pr are increased over the other species you have. Just using a little logic to hedge my bet :D

Tiffany
Guppy Member

Post by Tiffany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 am

Well if I can keep them alive we will see if you are correct. If not, well then I guess it will remain a mystery.

Tiffany
Guppy Member

Post by Tiffany » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:19 am

Well unfortunatly they did not make it more than a week. I believe Master G was correct in his assumption, they had a vertical black stripe like the panda cory's.

Tiffany
Guppy Member

Post by Tiffany » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 am

Ok, found another egg 3 wks ago on a moss ball and floated it in a cup this time to keep the angelfish from trying to suck the fry through the bottom of the breeder net. Well this one hatched and I released it into my 2.5 gal baby tank with some baby cherry barbs. Never saw it and assumed it didn't make it. Finaly spied it last night for the first time and yes once again Master G is correct. It is a 1/4 inch replica of its parents, a cute little baby panda cory. :thumbup:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 am

cool, need a pic

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:50 am

:clap: :clap: Congrats to you :clap: :clap:

Tiffany
Guppy Member

Post by Tiffany » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Would love to get a pic but the little sucker darts into the java moss as soon as I spot it. Will keep trying. Wish me luck.