HELP!!!! Mystery Critter !!!!!

Share Photos of Your Fish and Aquariums
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

HELP!!!! Mystery Critter !!!!!

Post by brianjoy81 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:55 pm

My mushroom leather has been withering away for weeks, so i talked to Gerwin about cutting it up and trying to grow new pieces.

SOOOOO there I was razor blade in hand about to make the first incision when i looked on the under side of the mushroom and found a WHITE CRAB living under there!!! Not a hermit crab but a CRAB CRAB haha. Any idea what kinda crab it is? Is it harmful or should i let him live haha. I have him quarantined in tupperwear at the bottom of my tank!

phisher
Discus Member

Re: HELP!!!! Mystery Critter !!!!!

Post by phisher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Hard to say without a good photo...hard to say with a good photo actually. If its white it could be,
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... pcatid=629.

Most crabs are not particularly reef safe, there are several rules of thumb to tell like the color and shape of the claws, but you can still be taking a chance. If you have a sump put him there, if not do what I do with stuff I don't want...bring it to Gerwin. :lol:

I also have a ton of leather frags if yours doesn't make it through, your welcome to one (many) if you like.

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 pm

I think i will just bring it to Gerwin tomorrow and he can have it! I can see a nice dead spot on the underside of the mushroom where he was living. I would love a frag or 2, send me a pic or 2 and let me know what your charging! Good thing Gerwin doesnt have a stand by phone at his house because i would have been calling tonight haha!!!

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:28 pm

I took the mystery crab into Gerwin's shop and he said it was a type of stoney crab. He said that it wasnt good for my reef tank. He will make a good meal for a trigger fish haha. Thanks again for the help Gerwin!