Your opinion please.....what should I do about my watchman?

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Shelly
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Your opinion please.....what should I do about my watchman?

Post by Shelly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:43 pm

My beautiful friendly happy watchman gobie is MIA. I have had him for about 5 mo. The pathway into the rock where hehas been hanging out for some time as been having extra deposits of sand at its entrance so I know he was constructing. He is not shy and spends almost as much time watching me and I do him. Well, he hasn't been seen since late Sunday night.
He is medium in size, my second largest fish. The lawn mower blenny I added several weeks ago is larger. Even though I have damsels, a medium to large sally light foot, a couple of medium emerald crabs, several medium size...(can't think of the name) red shrimp, couple of chromis and 2 clowns, life has been very calm. I haven't seen the aggression in any way that some people talk about. Add to that the fact that I tend to overfeed makes me pretty sure that he hasn't been attacked and eaten. I think he got himself in trouble under the rock somewhere.

The question is, should I excavate the tank and find him? I am not sure if I risk more damage to him, the other inhabitants and the coral if I do this.

When I originally bought him, he was paired with a pistol shrimp who managed to get the two of them in trouble when their tunnel collasped. I dug around and found the watchman but never found the pistal. At that time I thought I made very very sure that there is no possible shifting of rocks danager....Who knows??

phisher
Discus Member

Re: Your opinion please.....what should I do about my watchm

Post by phisher » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Maybe he started a new den somewhere that you just can't see him?

Shelly
Swordtail Member

Re: Your opinion please.....what should I do about my watchm

Post by Shelly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Your right Phisher. The watchman is alive and well.

I should probably move the tank to the middle of the living room. There seems to be just as much excitement happening in the back as in the front.