Moving tanks.....

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Moving tanks.....

Post by ReneM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 am

I currently have a 25g FW with three rather large fish in it, and a 30g SW with two small fish (have recently lost several due to ich).
I cannot afford a bigger tank for my FWs right now, and don't plan to buy many new SW fish until I get the SW end of this hammered out in my head. So, since my FW are the veterans here, and look like they're getting clausterphobic, I wanted to switch tanks. ( I know 5g may not seem like much but the larger is a hex and for some reason it LOOKS a lot bigger than 30 gal... course could be my 25g that I have had for 20 years is really a 20 and I dont know it lol)

Here's my question...
I want to replace the crushed coral in the SW with sand. I will be moving over everything else as is... water, about 20lbs live rock, filters/pump etc. Will this be enough or will the tank have to cycle again? Will I be starting over? If so, I may stick with the coral.

Gz28
Discus Member

Re: Moving tanks.....

Post by Gz28 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 am

If you buy live sand you shouldnt have anything to worry about, If not you could always mix some of the crushed coral in with the sand to make sure. but before you do anything wait and see if some of the more experianced people out there agree with me ;-)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 am

ReneM wrote:I currently have a 25g FW with three rather large fish in it, and a 30g SW with two small fish (have recently lost several due to ich).
I cannot afford a bigger tank for my FWs right now, and don't plan to buy many new SW fish until I get the SW end of this hammered out in my head. So, since my FW are the veterans here, and look like they're getting clausterphobic, I wanted to switch tanks. ( I know 5g may not seem like much but the larger is a hex and for some reason it LOOKS a lot bigger than 30 gal... course could be my 25g that I have had for 20 years is really a 20 and I dont know it lol)

Here's my question...
I want to replace the crushed coral in the SW with sand. I will be moving over everything else as is... water, about 20lbs live rock, filters/pump etc. Will this be enough or will the tank have to cycle again? Will I be starting over? If so, I may stick with the coral.
with the light load of fish you have at the moment, it should not have to recycle. Just do not press the system to fast with much live stock till we are 100% sure, keep in mind if you are not making a upgrade in surface area, you may not be making much of a improvement for your FW fish. Surface area will often mean much more than gallons.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:01 am

The only thing that I would add is make sure you rinse the new sand really well. Just a thought :idea: here if you want a bigger tank. I know Phisher had a few tanks for sell that were in his garage collecting dust. If he has any left he might sell you one on an installment plan. I know he posted he had sold the 100g or what ever it was, but I think he posted he had an acrylic tank also 18x something. For what he was charging, he was pretty much giving them away.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 am

I have a 55gal tank i can sell you pretty cheap, it needs to be cleaned real good but it is in good shape otherwise, pm me if you are interested.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 am

Thank you guys!

I think I will go ahead and wait a bit more and see if I can get a used tank. If I can't afford it, then I'll go this route...

Gerwin... I don't think there's an improvement in surface area, dang it! :(