Fish Death

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Fish Death

Post by Damion » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I got a few mollies from petsmart for my kid's tank. Got a white one, black one, and dalmatian. The white one died overnight. Brought it back and got another - it died too. Brought it back and manager said they have been having problems with the whole lot of white mollies (actually I think they are called silver mollies but look white). Anywho, I elected not to get another one.

The question is do you think I have anything to worry about with the other two?
Another question - how many would fit comfortably in a 20(ish) gallon tank? I can't remember exactly the size - maybe Gerwin remembers selling it to me, haha :)

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Fish Death

Post by bluwtr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 pm

I've always heard that you can go 1 inch per gallon of water. Seems to be a good rulle of thumb, but I really have no idea on "ditch minnows" :lol: !

I think you're other two may be fine because they have been seperated from the whites for most of the time--breeder/ collector, shipment, store etc.

Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Post by Damion » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 pm

LOL@ Ditch Minnows... All I can say is that at least the kid is interested in the tank - I don't give him a hard time on the type of fish he wants :)

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 pm

LOL! Yeah, I know. As long as they enjoy the addiction, er... I mean hobby. My four year old wants to win a goldfish at the JC fair. My 19 year old had one for about two years--damn thing wouldn't die and, believe it or not, it ate EVERYTHING else in the tank. A little frog, a fw flounder, you name it. That thing was evil incarnate!

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:36 am

PetSmart RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way every fish i have bought there exept one have all died. Buy the them from Gerwin you get the best fish for your money that way.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 am

Jamilw1989 wrote:PetSmart RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way every fish i have bought there exept one have all died. Buy the them from Gerwin you get the best fish for your money that way.
:angel:

ok so Mollies,
well they like a slightly brackish water so some aquarium salt at the dosage recommend would be good for them, and unfortunately most of the fish from distributors and shops that have central systems have all the water going to a "central place" where then filtered and returned to the system, and that's why disease can spread so fast through out a shop, being poor we just have a bunch of single tanks, don't look as cool but a issue in one is not in all!. That being said it could have just been a bad batch and very stressed. If it has been more than a week to 10 days and all looks good, you are probably just fine. Come get some salt!

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 am

Gerwin wrote:
Jamilw1989 wrote:PetSmart RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way every fish i have bought there exept one have all died. Buy the them from Gerwin you get the best fish for your money that way.
:angel:

ok so Mollies,
well they like a slightly brackish water so some aquarium salt at the dosage recommend would be good for them, and unfortunately most of the fish from distributors and shops that have central systems have all the water going to a "central place" where then filtered and returned to the system, and that's why disease can spread so fast through out a shop, being poor we just have a bunch of single tanks, don't look as cool but a issue in one is not in all!. That being said it could have just been a bad batch and very stressed. If it has been more than a week to 10 days and all looks good, you are probably just fine. Come get some salt!
Yeah I wish some one had told me that back in july mine might still be alive. Although I hate to say this but I bought mine from Crystal Reed then because i didn't know about your store back then. O and I now take that one back the ONE fish I bought from PETSMART that lived. Had to be flushed the other day she keeled over dead. The only problem is those fish are hard to come by.