Nitrate\brown algae

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
gbrendonk
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Nitrate\brown algae

Post by gbrendonk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

I have a spike in nitrates and some brown algae growth. I have done a 30% water change and reduced lighting cycle. What else can I do to get the nitrates down and get rid of the algae?

Gz28
Discus Member

Re: Nitrate\brown algae

Post by Gz28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Just had another thought you could put some macro algae or use mangorves to strip the water of nutrients. I am bringing some macro to gerwin today put some in your tank or sump with one of those 6500k cfl swirley lights the macro will eat all of the nutrients then you can throw it away,keep it, or bring it to gerwin to give to somone else. I am sure gerwin can also reccomend some type of product to put in your filter while you are there, like nitra zorb or something to help strip the nitrite,nitrates,phosphate...etc. I have had alot of sucess with using macro to keep my nutrient levels at 0, I still use macro now even though i finally got a protein skimmer, It paid off this past few weeks my skimmer quit working properly my macro started growing fast again because it had nutrients to feed on and my levels stayed at 0 while i got the skimmer fixed I like having that natural safty net :-). I say why not do all of the things mentioned in these 2 posts, its all easy, and cheap if not free. :-) water changes, dont over feed, reduce light cycle,use macro algae, run phosphate absorbing resin, and nitrate absorbing stuff in your filter (see gerwin) and get something to eat the algae. (UV steralizer would help too and is a good idea especially if you have alot of fish and want to control ich as well, but its not cheap)

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm

How old is your tank first off? If its 2-4 months old this may just be part of your cycle and should even out as it finishes.

If not, the nitrites and algae are both a sign that you have too much waste of some sort. Too much of a bio-load, overfeeding or any other source (dead fish, coral, sponges) could be the cause. There are chemicals and filters to help control this end result, however if you don't eliminate the source you will continue to have these problems. Regular water changes are the best way to control byproducts. Also a good protein skimmer will remove wastes before they break down and cause water quality issues.

Your tank will give you queues when its ailing, just like your body will show a fever when you are sick. Try and find the root cause, then fight the illness.

gbrendonk
Angel Member

Post by gbrendonk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Well seems to be dropping. I think you may be on with the protein skimmer, I got a big new one on the way. I have a 110gal tank about a year old with five little fish right now. I've had other fish but recently got rid of the predators and I am going to all reef friendly fish. I also have a xeinia frag and chili coral frag. Xeinia double in size in two weeks until today, its looking ruff. Chili coral looks good and is feeding. I feed the fish once a day and they eat it all fairly quick. I have also been adding purple up to encourage coraline growth on the dry base I put in about a month ago. Now I just got to get the water back in control, this is the first time it has spiked. I'll be scolded for this but I had bio balls until this. I took them out today, they didn't do this until now. So now i'm running with a sump and a filter with activated carbon and a small DIY skimmer. I have the parts for a refungium and I think i'm going to add it with some chateo. What else should I put in the Refungium? What kind of light will work for the refung? Will the basic hood light work? I'm learning little more everyday. One day I'll be ready to spend some money on coral. Thanks for all the help, Gabe

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 pm

gbrendonk wrote:I have a spike in nitrates and some brown algae growth. I have done a 30% water change and reduced lighting cycle. What else can I do to get the nitrates down and get rid of the algae?
what kind of lights and what is the cycle?
also have you been using RO/DI water for top off and water changes? you also say spike.....from what to what?

all the info you put in will result in the info we can put out :wink: