rock putty.

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Gz28
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

rock putty.

Post by Gz28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 am

Does anyone have any experiance with good rock glue or reef putty? I am looking for something that will hold the rock together pretty quickly (not have to sit for 3hours) and can join the rock together when wet or underwater without hurting my reef inhabitants. I tried that aqua scape epoxy I bought from gerwin..and i hate it! it took forever to dry didnt hold the rock very well, i would press the rock together with putty inbetween and hold it for along time and when i let go nothing, it took the whole 15.00 dollar pack to glue 4 medium rocks together and it is still not very strong. I mixed the epoxy as per the instructions meading and rolling for "5 minutes plus a minute more" has anyone had better luck with this product? nothing like spending 3 hours trying to glue rocks together just to find out you wasted 15 bucks :-(

Gz28
Discus Member

Re: rock putty.

Post by Gz28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 am

SIGH!!! not very strong was an understatement after sitting for 4 hours i lightly touched my glued together pieces of rock to see if it was dry and the whole thing fell apart, the putty came right off....ARGH!!! LOL it brags about being extra sticky all through the reading material! psssht! compared to what WD-40. Sorry guys its not like me to flame but i am just really dissapointed and aggervated with this stuff. i just wasted 5 hours moving coral's tearing down my rocks and trying to make someting awesome and all for nothing. :x please HELP! thanks.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 am

I know this isn't going to help much, but with everything I glue down it comes off quite easy. I have blamed it on the fact that the rock has so many layers of stuff growing on it that it is easy to shed a layer. Even my snails have broken off things I have glued down. If you do find something that is "ROCK" solid, please let us all know. I just use super glue gel.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

I would start by saying this, imo, was never meant to hold "rocks together" as much as I have always took it to be for mounting corals to plugs and / or plugs or coral bases to rocks. Ideally you would place the frags in such a manner where they almost stay themselves and use the putty to enhance the position so random snails, current and such do not push them over.

For actually holding rocks to rock, for those who do not have the aqua-engineering degree, use cable ties, acrylic rods, fishing line etc. hope this helps

When all else fails take a deep breath and then another and then a hammer :D

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 pm

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/emaco-r ... aquascape/

Has anyone heard of this?

also i have read that using superlue gel and epoxy works alot better than just one or the other. they say when glueing rocks apply super glue to both rocks then put the epoxy on the glue and squish them together, I might give that a try, as i am not trying to create anything gravity defying infact the rocks i was trying to glue would stay in place without the epoxy, just didnt want fish or snails to knock it over.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:23 pm

as i am not trying to create anything gravity defying infact the rocks i was trying to glue would stay in place without the epoxy, just didnt want fish or snails to knock it over.
after sitting for 4 hours i lightly touched my glued together pieces of rock to see if it was dry
AH HAAAA! curiosity killed the cat! so your saying that they were fine but you had to touch them, and you are assuming the force of your calibrated hand was the same or less than a turbo snail! AH HAAAAA! I call Shinanigans :lol: :lol: :lol: and your assuming the product cured in 4 hours! was that standard time? or GZ time?

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:35 pm

The 2 part epoxy products are not adhesives quite simply, as you found out. Best use is, find a hole in rock, pack it with epoxy, poke frag in, wait.

Gerwin's suggestion is what I have found to work the best, particularly cable ties and a masonry bit. I don't think anything would really work to glue wet, live rock together.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:25 am

Ok i have an update...Yes gerwin my finger is calibrated!!! If a cop can give me a ticket for speeding "when i wasnt" without his radar gun and tell me his eye is calibrated by the state of mississippi to look at a car and tell how fast it is going...then yes my finger is calibrated to know the exact force placed on that rock! :-) Customer is always right. True story about the cop btw....i asked him to tell me how fast a random car was going down the road and he blurted out 57...LOL.. After i was done with him in court they made him wear a voice recorder on every stop...ROFL! anyway. First i would like to say i wasnt trying to suggest that anything was gerwin's fault or "pass road pets", AKA fishystuff, AKA just fish, ..."whats with all the alias's btw, U that indecisive? :-)" U guys know he always treats us right!! :-). I have used the green putty gerwin sells at his store before so i was expecting this stuff to hold as good or better. It was a really, really.....bad night. I did try the green putty again with super glue and had a little better sucess. This is what i mean by mixing putty and glue. 1st you clean and dry the rock at least a little doesnt have to be completely dry, 2nd place superglue gel on the rock them place the putty on the super glue then either glue the exposed side of the putty or the second rock to be attached in the area that will contact the putty. You are trying to glue the putty to the rock then let the putty harden to give the glue alot more stregnth. (rock]glue]putty[glue[rock) "glue on both pieces of rock and putty inbetween" This method did work better you could get away with making simple structures like this with some practice definatially held stuff together that just glue or putty couldnt do alone! :-) "couldnt hold anything totally weight bearing though" what i ended up doing is by gerwins reccomendation cutting plastic coat hangers and drilling both pieces of rock with a masonary drill bit, and using the super glue / putty technique to glue the putty to the rods and then the rods in the holes, i also used the same technique on the areas of the rocks that would touch, this worked VERY well! I can pick the structure up hold it by any piece give it a little shake and it stays firm.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:31 am

:clap: