Bad Snail ??

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Bad Snail ??

Post by Redfish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Found this in one of my zoas frags. Good 8) Bad :twisted: ??

Hope you can see it, it was really small.

don
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Bad Snail ??

Post by don » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 pm

looks like a very small checkered sundial snail, they pretty much eat only zoas, suck out the insides and leave the husk. they lay eggs in the colony where they are feeding. and will totally consume it. hope this helps. :?:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Don may be correct but its so small its hard for me to see, I will tell you the sundial snail eats on Zoas but I will also tell you I have had them in my tank and did not even know it and the Zoa I found them *after moving the colony, where the biggest fastest growing in the tank and there were 3 of them living there.....I do not , by my observations believe they are all end of world as many would read about.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Yea,,, what G said... :lol: :lol: does look a sundail though.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Its the only one I found, but I will keep my eyes peeled for more. I keep a close watch on my zoas looking for babies :lol: :lol: :lol: so I will see them if there are more.

don
Angel Member

Post by don » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:31 pm

if i had too take the advice of someone , Gerwin's would be the one i'd follow, since i've only been in the hobby for a short period of time. just made an observation and gave my opinion for what it may be worth.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 am

don wrote:if i had too take the advice of someone , Gerwin's would be the one i'd follow, since i've only been in the hobby for a short period of time. just made an observation and gave my opinion for what it may be worth.
take my advice but dont be afraid to research either, so much of this hobby is based off personal opinions and observations that you kinda need to go with what the scales tell you. I am not doubting the science of the sundial snails as so much as have not seen much death and destruction either...that being said I pluck them out and send them to their death. :( just like everyone else

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm

I was up at 2:30 AM :crazy: with the flash light looking at the closed zoas trying to spot some more of the snails. Didn't find any, but the wife thought someone was breaking in the house when she saw the flash light bouncing around the room.