Sump Designs

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Sump Designs

Post by bluwtr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:06 am

I am trying to come up with a way to add a sump to my tank. Drilling is not an option that I will consider (the tank WOULD bust if I tried) so I am going to go with a HOB overflow. Because my stand doors are narrow and my tank is in position, I've tried to design a sump to come in through the doors. My door openings are 10" so that causes concern. I thought a 10 gallon tank would fit, but nope--1/4" inch too wide. I may be able to slide the tank and stand and try to come in through the back. Regardless, I designed two styles both of which use my HOB RO skimmer. The first is based on a 10 gallon tank in which the skimmer sits inside. The second is a build in place acrylic with the skimmer actually hanging on the side.

Comments, criticisms or suggestions are welcome.

Wes

10g glass

Acrylic build--I've changed the dimensions a little since the design.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Sump Designs

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 am

have you considered taking the molding off the 10 gallon tank? it might save you that 1/4 inch you are looking for.
also consider the amount of flow back from power cutoff of system, you sump will need to handle that. I am a K.I.S.S. kind of a guy, so for me a drain section a skimmer section a pump section, if I need or want a refugium I would just link it to the sump from a 5 gallon bucket or pail or rubbermaid container.
Remember when our Dad's used tell us "use the right tool for the job, those ones that do 2 or more things at once aint no good" , well my Dad used to tell me that all the time, I try to remember that when ever I do things.

IGO for those not familiar "in Gerwin's opinion" 8) Im gonna make my own shortcuts page up of acronyms that should really count on my site :lol:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 am

I was given a 10 gallon tank and pulled the molding off and that's where the 1/4" came from. Man I was pissed about that. I like complicated. Gives me more reasons to get mad about crap braking down or not working! High blood pressure is good right? I just figured adding the fuge at the end of the acrylic box would save haveing to rig another container. I want to try and include an ATO under there some how as well. I think the better have needs to just give me carte blanche and let me buy a larger tank. What do yo think Ger?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I think your acrylic is the way to go, its more easily modified etc. I will wait for a final drawing and give my thoughts...but again research on the recommend size of a refugium, at some point you have a token area you call a refuge that is not suitable for the tank size, probably something like 10% the surface area of the main tank. Also it will be full of water so your actually retention area for drain back needs to be considered...and you need to think WORSE CASE scenario not the idea conditions when you design.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 am

Will do. I have thought about sizes of the sections, and I defo think I need to make the intake area smaller as well as the skimmer outfall and return areas and make the fuge section bigger. Where is the best place to put Chaeto? I wonder why you couldn't put it in all areas except where a pump could suck it up.

W

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 pm

I wonder why you couldn't put it in all areas except where a pump could suck it up.
you can put it anywhere there is light and will not escape to pump

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks. Will defo keep you updated.

W

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 am

man you post as late as I post early

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:50 am

Such is the life of a man with 1 wife, 2 jobs and 3 kids!!!