Night time lighting

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Corey M
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Night time lighting

Post by Corey M » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:04 pm

I saw a week or two ago some lighting in you store that was designed for night time ........ does this lighting avoid altering/ screwing up your fish's cercadian rhythms?? and what's its magnitude of effect on algae growth compared to "regular" lighting. It's sure be nice if there wasn't many negatives to have the tank light on more, especially at night in my dark house........ but I don't want to mess things up to have the largest night light on the block for the child (not me) of the house.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:32 am

ya know thais is a good question.

As far as fish are concerned, tanks have been having the lights shut off since the beginning as well as being left on 24/7. I would imagine that using moon lights would better replicate nature but I don't think it would have HUGE life altering effects if you leave them off at night.

As far as the algae I will check into that never thought much about it and have not personally used them as lunare lamps are something relatively new to the hobby.

I am under the understanding that lunares came about for reef tanks to help encourage coral spawing as this usually occurs under certain moonlight conditions.

I doubt they will make much of a night light for finding the bathroom but the tank may give you a reference point , like a star in the sky of when to turn in the dark to get to the bathroom.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Generally, the only place I would think of leaving tank lights on 24/7 would be in a pet store, where it would serve as an after-hours window attraction and possible crime deterrent. Once fish leave the store and are moved to a permanent home, a reasonable day/night cycle is preferable. The chemical the body makes that is responsible for vision is produced only in darkness, and fish have no eyelids. No darkness = eventual blindness-- possibly reversible, but blindness nonetheless.