YELLOW TANG

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

YELLOW TANG

Post by Chef Steve » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM TANK CAPACITY NEEDED TO HAVE A YELLOW TANG IN THE MIX?? I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO ADD A FISH OF THAT SORT FOR A WHILE. IT SEEMS THOUGH THAT MOST PLACES SAY YOU NEED A 50G OR A 100G TO KEEP THEM. I FIGURED THAT I WOULD JUST POST THIS TO GET SOME ADVICE. I GUESS I WAS INSPIRED BY GERWIN AND HIS FISH WHISPERING PRACTICES WITH HIS. MAYBE I CAN TEACH MINE TO ROLL OVER.!

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: YELLOW TANG

Post by bluwtr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I've always heard a 55 is the smallest for a yellow, but then again there are people out there that say regardless of the species, no tang should be kept in anything smaller than a 110. I sure wouldn't put any of the larger species in a small tank, but if you want a yellow I say go for it. Just remember, it will outgrow your 29 (that is what you have right?) in 2 years or so. When I say outgrow I mean it will get large enough that it will not have enough swimming room. Tangs like to roam. One thing to remember about tangs is that they are prone to ich. As such, it is highly advisable to quarantine it for 4-6 weeks before adding it to your tank. I know it's a pain in the butt, but you DO NOT want ich. Better safe than sorry. Even though I love yellows, I don't have one because I am a) too lazy to QT and b) too impatient. When I get something, I want to take it home, acclimate it, and drop it.

HTH

Wes

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:30 am

Chef Steve
Discus Member

Post by Chef Steve » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 pm

I am similar to you. Want to buy it and put it in and watch it go. I asked today and Gerwin said I could put one, just try to find one small. I guess I will weigh out the options. I don't have a quarantine tank so I will have to do some thinking. Thanks for the link

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Good thing we don't have the TANG POLICE on this forum :lol: :lol: :lol: Cause they would lock me up for saying this,,,, If it is small and would fit nicely in your tank with enough swimming room, I would say go for it.. if it out grows your tank you can always sell it or give it away to someone with a bigger tank. Also, I know you should quarantine your new fish, according to some. I don't have the space or time for a quarantine tank, so I don't. I have had good luck and bad luck adding new fish to my tank. Bad luck being that they just die. That being said,,,, I will still to this day, buy and add a new fish to my tank same day. Tangs included. I have had three yellow tangs to date,,, one died after about a month,,, one was taken back for eating corals,,,,, and one I have now that is doing great. Ich can be a problem with tangs, I think it is dependant on the tang and the amount of stress it has gone through,,,, also,,, some tangs seem to be tougher than others.
That's just my opinion,,,, and you know what they say about opinions,,,,well,,, yeah,,,,, you know :mrgreen: ,,,, everybody has one,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

dnoble jr
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by dnoble jr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

I have a 29 gal tank and I have a 3 stripe damsel, 2 clown fish, a flamming angel, and a yellow tang. I bought the smallest tang that gerwin had at the time. He is doing good and all my fish have plenty of room. I invested in a uv sterilizer, because my fish got ick before I got my tang. Best of luck!

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 am

(standing in front of the room) " I have a 12 gallon nano cube which realistically has 9 gallons of water and I too have a yellow tang" :shh:

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 am

I hear sirens!!! :shock:

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am

At least we will all be in good company when they lock us up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chef Steve
Discus Member

Post by Chef Steve » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:39 pm

im just gonna say it was Gerwin that made me do it!! ha ha

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I have a 34 gal Red Sea Max, and I have a Yellow Tang as well. I waitied for Gerwin to get some small ones in, and he is healthy and eats like a horse! I also have a clown fish and a Hawkfish.