Sick Fish

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Sick Fish

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 am

A friend of mine called me tonight and said that their coral beauty had one eye clouded really bad and she asked if I knew what caused it. I told her I didn't but I figure it is either fungal or bacterial. I told her I would ask here and get an answer. Weird thing is it's just one eye and there are no other signs or syptoms. She said it swims fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Suggestions and treatments?

Thanks,

Wes

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Sick Fish

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 am

Erythromycin available as EM Powder from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals , would be my first option as a guess, although I would get slammed for this by some sites, as using the correct antibiotic based on accurate diagnosis via swipes of the surface and culture testing etc.....which of course HARDLY NO ONE has the ability to DO in the REAL WORLD!!! God I hope the read that :lol: So it is important though that all normal parameters are checked and water quality is in good shape before any treatment course. along with good diet. And sometimes things will get better just by that alone.

Have I ever mentioned UV sterilizers 8)

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Sick Fish

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah, in a perfect world we could do actual clinical testing on everthing but that sure as hell isn't the case. Any idea about what her fish may have? I will tell her about the Erythro and give her a hard "hint" about the UV sterilizers! Thanks.

Wes