What my native tank has taught me....

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

What my native tank has taught me....

Post by guitarest » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 am

Not only are Blue crabs very much scavengers and will eat anything within reach (like my clown fish who lived almost 6 months in the tank) but reproduction is also a thing that could turn deadly for the female.

I have two large blues in the tank and they are the rulers of the tanks except when they shed. The last time the male shed he lost both claws and a total of 3 legs. I suspect they were lost in a attempt to speed up the process since the female is the same size and the fish are getting really large. He now sports new rubber claws and legs and next shedding those will be replaced with larger re-grown limbs. The last time the female shed she was taken advantage of by the male in their mating process; basically she was raped. The female can't fight back and until she hardens I guess its better than being eaten?

Rock crabs are very cool never loose the fear of everything in the tank status. Bull minnows mate all the time and I have 4 fry who have survived the others in the tank. One is the size of a large guppy and the others are really small and need to be kept in a 1 gal saltwater tank. Saltwater snails are useless, period. Finally Spade fish get really large and eat a huge amount of food.

Overall the tank is very healthy; and I am so glad I did get this tank and set it up around this time last year to save a few fish from the BP Spill...

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: What my native tank has taught me....

Post by Gerwin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 am

nice update :D