in tank refugium

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

in tank refugium

Post by goalk33p3r » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Are the in tank refugium just as good as the ones that hang on the back of the tank

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: in tank refugium

Post by Redfish » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 am

What I know about refugiums is this: go big or stay home. To my understanding, there are only two reasons to have a refugium, Pod production and or Nitrate removal. As Gerwin can tell you I have tinkered with the idea of sitting up a refugium on my tank system and I have come to this conclusion, I won't be. My main reason for setting up the refugium was to be for Nitrate removal, and to this end, I have decided refugiums have gone the way of Bio balls. They just aren't worth it, with the new Nitrate reactor removal products on the market, why bother spending your time maintaining one. You could use that time doing something else on your tank, like just setting there and looking at it. As far as Pod production: I just buy a bottle of Pods every now and then and dump them in the tank. The live rock in the tank has lots of holes, nooks and crannies in it and I am sure that a lot of the pods, get in there where they can't be eaten and I just supplement them with a new bottle every now and then. So far my Mandrain Goby is still going strong. I will say this though, if I had a dedicated fish room in the house and had a some what large system, I would set one up in a big tub of some sort, it wouldn't hurt. But to just have one set up in a 10g tank or so, I just feel they aren't worth the trouble, I am sure I will get blasted a bit for this but, its JMO.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:33 am

Are the in tank refugium just as good as the ones that hang on the back of the tank
I would imagine by why muck up your display with these things, unless you have a huge system that it can be hidden in...or your tank is the Refugium :think:
What I know about refugiums is this: go big or stay home. To my understanding, there are only two reasons to have a refugium, Pod production and or Nitrate removal. As Gerwin can tell you I have tinkered with the idea of sitting up a refugium on my tank system and I have come to this conclusion, I won't be. My main reason for setting up the refugium was to be for Nitrate removal, and to this end, I have decided refugiums have gone the way of Bio balls. They just aren't worth it, with the new Nitrate reactor removal products on the market, why bother spending your time maintaining one. You could use that time doing something else on your tank, like just setting there and looking at it. As far as Pod production: I just buy a bottle of Pods every now and then and dump them in the tank. The live rock in the tank has lots of holes, nooks and crannies in it and I am sure that a lot of the pods, get in there where they can't be eaten and I just supplement them with a new bottle every now and then. So far my Mandrain Goby is still going strong. I will say this though, if I had a dedicated fish room in the house and had a some what large system, I would set one up in a big tub of some sort, it wouldn't hurt. But to just have one set up in a 10g tank or so, I just feel they aren't worth the trouble, I am sure I will get blasted a bit for this but, its JMO.
:clap: and to think I thought I was talking to a wall, I could not have said it better and you will not get blasted here sir :thumbup:

and as a brief follow up, I have seen awesome systems with and without refugiums, so which is right? how about both are ok....it comes down in my mind how simple and efficient do you want the tank to function and how much room and extras cash you got around and how much tinkering you want to do....and one of my favorite sayings "risk vs reward" risk in this case not meaning anything bad but I would put the $$$ in place of risk.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 am

awesome thanks guys this has helped alot :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: thank you

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 am

goalk33p3r , I sent you a PM, but not sure it went through. If you didn't receive it let me know and we'll go from there.

As far as fuges go, I personally like them--as long as it's associated with a sump. I agree 100% that you wouldn't want to screw with the look of your tank with one. Mine has LR rubble (thanks G&R) and some Chaeto in it. I will add a bottle of pods to it eventually, but no big rush.

Wes

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 am

i do like them with a sump too seems like the best way to go stay hidden under the tank but its there and going lol i am planning on doing a sump for my next tank which of course will be alot bigger than my 29 lol so i was thinking about doing the hang on the back since i want to keep my nitrates to a min and also want to get a mandarin goby and want to keep it healthy and fat. i really do thank yall for the info its really awesome i know i can always use more

ps bluwtr i did get pm and pmed back thanks

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

I would recommend getting a Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer and forgo the HOB fuge. I don't think you will see enough (if any benefit) from the HOB models. I bought my skimmer 2nd hand through Gerwin and it is one of the best investments I've made on my tank. The RO skimmers are bad azz!

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

lol i do plan on getting on tonight actually its a reef octopus bh800 rated for a 125g tank :D

jjordyyall
Swordtail Member

Post by jjordyyall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 pm

im planning something like thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYN705Qu6_U for my refuge a display refuge beside your tank can be a beautiful addition to any reef nothing as big or as expensive but i dont think i will have to much trouble with a setup like this just going to plumb it into my return so it wont need any kind of pump but i do agree with redfish and ger go big or go home if your going to do it and its really not a necessity these days. im doing really because i love the idea of keeping another tank on a closed loop with my big tank for quarentine and other purpose i think it will make things alot better for me :)