Evil Cucumber

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Evil Cucumber

Post by Chef Steve » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:00 pm

So last night me and another member, Goalkeeper, arrived at my house and noticed that I had all this white stuff in my tank. Not like grains or growth on anything, just long stringy stuff. Then I noticed that my cucumber was covered in it. After thinking the cucumber was dead, it began to move. Not long after, my sally crab picked it up and started throwing it around. Well I guess I should say evil crab. Either way I was not comfortable with it in my tank anymore so I have someone holding it until i can return it to the fish store. Scary stuff ha ha

goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Evil Cucumber

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

ya it was crazy stuff lol

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

If I remember correctly, cucumbers use chemical defense for protection. It could be that the crab pissed it off and it was trying to defend itself. I've heard that they can poison a tank, but I just don't know enough about them to be sure. On the safe side make sure you are running carbon.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:37 pm

I did a little research on them and it said when they become stressed or attached they release toxins in to the water that can kill your fish all of his fish were breathing hard damsels clown and the gobies it was really crazy we did a 7 gallon water change and all the fish seemed to swim better but still breathe hard I guess they are doing good Steve did not say any of them died so that is. Plus lol :D

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 am

That's what I thought. Make sure to run carbon--it will defo help. Make sure it's got lots of water movement through it. The longer the contact time the better. If things in the tank still show signs of stress, you may have to change the carbon out. I'm sure different compounds have different absorption rates into the carbon.

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:27 pm

I am currently running any carbon. Just the pads. I have a packet of charcoal now I am bringing home to put in filter. One of my damsels died after water change then my mandarin the next day, my madarin goby was paperthin for a few days and kicked the bucket yesterday. I recently installed a reef octopus protein skimmer and now a new filter Pad and carbon. Cucumber is back at pass rd if anyone wants.