what causes ick?

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

what causes ick?

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 pm

I have in my ten gallon tank 1 female betta 2 mickey mouse fish and 4 barbs and 3 guppies they all seem to be getting along swimmingly :D BUT i looked in the tank this morning and ALL fish are coved in ick. WHY? its 77 degrees in that tank and the heater that I have doesnt have an adjustment on it so I can't warm it up in there. I have put Ick tablests in there but I honest don't know where it came from. Any ideas? Help.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: what causes ick?

Post by bluwtr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm assuming that fw ich is like sw, but it has to come in one of two ways--infected fish, or on substrate from an infected tank. Do a web search on "ich life cycle" and if will show how it gets around.

HTH and good luck.

Wes

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

some feel all fish carry it, and some feel its always in the environment. Think of it like the common cold virus, either way its around waiting for its time to flourish. Fish that are put under duress lose some of their ability to repel disease, just like humans with the cold. Rapid temp change, ph etc can all induce the parasite to become active. So what do we do?

we watch our parameters, we try not to make quick changes, we acclimate our fish before putting into the tank, we look to make sure they are healthy upon purchase, we can run UV sterilizers, and you look everyday to make sure they are looking good, and when you see it, you move quick to get the correct remedy. When spotted early, cure is almost 100%.
Don't Panic, Don't fret .....
Like so many things the fact is, " its not If your fish are gonna get Ick, but when!"

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 am

yeah but i guess i didnt spot it soon enough i lost my four bards two tiger and two albino. not sure if the ick killed them or if the ick pill did. but the other fish are looking a little better my poor betta looks like someone took a bite out of her fins though. But I am happy to report that my other tank is SNAIL FREE :thumbup: