EEL/ FISH GRUB

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Corey M
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

EEL/ FISH GRUB

Post by Corey M » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:16 pm

Gerwin mentioned I should pass on this recipe. My eel loves it and surprising to me eats it very readily while frozen (doesn't seem to mind the brain freeze.) He/ She doesn't like squid alone but simply goes nuts for crab. Interestingly enough he hasn't taken a leg off of the decorator crab who hangs out at times literally touching the zebra eels head. Then again it may be from Gerwin selling me a congenitally deficient eel with only one eye.

I grabbed it from University of Florida extension services web page http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA097 who attribute it to the Baltimore Aquarium. It's not that different from a recipe in The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner which I partially merged with it. The Baltimore recipe included vitamin supplements so I used it . Note, that it doesn't include garlic which would be easy to add but I thought I'd make sure my zebra eel didn't reject it for taste reasons.

6 oz can of shrimp (I used 2 oz cheap frozen shrimp, 2oz squid (Walmart sporting good section carries, 2 oz crab meat)
2 oz frozen spinach (I used Nori sushi algae, since it's dry I just guestimated the correct amount)
1 oz grated carots
3 tbsp baby cereal
2 tbsp brewers yeast (I had to used tablet pills which I pulverized into dust)
1 tsp liquid vitamins (I pulverized 1/2 a multivitamin)
5 ml cod liver oil (was forced to open caplets and used 2 of them)
2 oz unflavored powdered gelatin
15 oz water

Blend 5 oz water with ingredients other than gelatin (I didn't add this water but DID add some flake food). Boil 10 oz water (I just got it very hot in microwave). Add gelatin to water then add blender ingredients and mix throughly. Pour into flat pan or ???. Refridgerate. Cut mixture and store in freezer.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:47 pm

sweet,
thanks Corey

So have you fed it to the other fish as well or just the eel?

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Back in the day, even before Ger was just a cocky little shaver coming to buy tropicals wholesale where I used to to work, we used to make a concoction very similar to the above. The only differences, immaterial though they may be, were that we used liquid baby vitamins and we had a source of cheap fresh squid. A food processor and a ten gallon tank were used to mix up a big batch that was divvied up into several quart Ziplocks. The recipe was a godsend since we had few commercially-available frozen foods beyond SF Bay Brand or Jungle brine shrimp, Kordon plankton, and a handful of other things from the Gamma Foods brand. Heck, we were still years away from Ocean Nutrition Formulas 1&2.