stumped on the sump

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

stumped on the sump

Post by goalk33p3r » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:13 pm

so i am buying a 100 g tank from gerwin it is drilled and has the over flow box( the one by his coral and live rock). my big plans are def going mix reef with with 8 48 inch t 5's as my lighting about a 120 pounds of sand and about 150 to 175 pounds of rock. the fish i am not sure yet most likely tangs maybe a koran still have not decided. here is my big problem the sump. i have no idea how to set it up, what i should get, how big the sump, what protien skimmer ect... i am very new to the idea of the sump so any and all post will help me i know i will be getting a coralife 18 watt turbo twist but thats it thanks guys and gals

MPowell
Discus Member

Re: stumped on the sump

Post by MPowell » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 am

Gerwin can help you with everything you need as far as the sump goes. One thing I would suggest is don't do a Koran Angel for a reef tank but if you do keep an eye on it to see what kind of corals it eats so you know which kind of corals not to buy.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:51 am

:clap: Congrats on the new tank :clap: This is JMO based on my experience,, Fish: Tangs and what I would do if it were my tank, I would get one Yellow Tang (are good at picking algee off of the live rock) and that would be it as far as Tangs go. I have had problems in the past with other Tangs and Foxface eating zoas out of my tank, they are hit and miss, won't take that chance again. I had no problem when they were smaller and were young but when they got older, they also get really big 7 to 8 inches long or more and can take up a lot of territory in a 100g tank. My fish of choice would be Reef safe Wrasses, They are smaller than Tangs so you can keep more in your tank and they are the best looking fish you can have in your tank.They are jumpers though, you have to put a mesh of some sort over your tank. Sumps : The bigger the better Skimmers: These can go in price, for a good one $400 to $2000 or more, anything less, you don't want. Which one you need is based on what will be going into the tank. You read in one of Jasons post, his skimmer cost $1800.00 for his SPS tank. Being a mixed reef tank you won't need one of these, in fact, Sandys 180g tank, she runs no skimmer at all and has a beautiful tank. You could most likely get by without one with weekly water changes and using a filter sock along with the UV sterilizer you are planning, JMO here, I would get one, I think running a skimmer on a tank can help stretch those water changes out thus saving you a few $$$. I have a Reef Octopus skimmer that Gerwin got for me and have no complaints.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 am

Check out this link to my sump build thread. Should give you some ideas etc.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=640&p=3702#p3702

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 am

skimmer wise i will most likely go with the Super Reef Octopus® 6” In Sump Skimmer RO-PS-2000INT
•Dimensions: 12.5”x8.5”x22”
thats one thing done lol

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 am

That ought to be a good skimmer, its kinda a new design for Reef Octopus. The one that I have you have to turn the tube to set the skimmer, this one has a valve knob to turn to set the skimmer, I bet you have better control with this type set up. You will have to give us a product review when its up and running. If you decide to build your own sump with bluwtr's help, I want to be there :D

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Just let me know--be glad to help if I can.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 am

ya man that would be awesome hopefully i would learn more about what i should do and what would be the best for my tank

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:18 am

so i just read that my sump should be about half the size of my tank so which would be better a 40 or 50

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 am

Bigger is always better. The biggest that you can have and still have room for the rest of the equipment.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 am

Pete is right--go with as big as you can fit under your stand and still be able to access your sump. One problem a lot of people run into is finding that once they put their sump together their skimmer is too tall to remove the collection cup--make sure you have room to do so.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 am

ok sounds good and that would be a bad thing would have to spend 200 more for a self cleaning head lol i will get a measure inside before i start on anything

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:55 pm

So I went to the shop today put more money down on the tank only 60 dollars left and its mine while I was there I talked a lot to roger about setting up this sump I got a good idea of how big I want it going for a 30 gallon tank I want it long and be able to do a skimmer and refugium and my return pump I showed him the skimmer and its going to fit great now it is the building part so would I be better off building this sump or find a 30 gallon long tank which I have yet to see one if building is the way to go I hope I can work with bluwt and do this that would be awesome

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Buying or building, either way is good, but if bluwtr has the time to help you build it, thats the way I would go.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I believe so also get the experience of building and learning all the ins and outs and pass on to other people I am up of it