stumped on the sump

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: stumped on the sump

Post by Redfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Just a thought, I think an idea that may work would be to incorporate a top off water holding section into your sump build, instead of having one sump and one top off container, just a thought.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by goalk33p3r » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:07 pm

thats brilliant man did not even think of that that would be great

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 pm

That is a good idea, but it will take away from your overall sump volume, and you wouldn't have a lot of water volume to pump from. Sorry, I'm a parade rainer-oner!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 am

I really don't see why it would take away from the sump vol., If you were planning, say, a 36 inch long sump, you just add another 12 inch long chamber to the end of the sump for the ATO section, bring the total length of the sump and ATO chamber to 48 inches. the only thing you would be doing, would be to have one long all in one sump and ATO tank instead of having two seperate containers. Would look alot neater, like I said just a thought. :lol: Its what I am going to do with the new tank. You might have to get creative with the design if you were planning an external return pump though.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

True, but I was just saying it would take up room if he uses a premade tank and not one custom built. But it still needs to be large enough so that you don't have to add water to it every other day or so--kind of defeats the purpose then.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Yea, you would have to figure out just how much evaporation you would have in the sump and top off container to have enough water in the ATO tank to last a few days. I replace about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in my sump daily (average) but I think the more surface area you have, the more water that will evaporate out of the tank, not sure I am right about that though, most top off containers that I have seen are tall and narrow and not alot of surface area. Its a balancing act, you don't want to much water in the top off container in case your top off pump gets stuck in the on cycle and empty's the water in the top off container into your sump and runs over the top of your sump.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 am

I am very glad that I posted.this I got to two great great minds going at this with some awesome ideas I acnt wait to get to start building this I will post when I start putting this bad boy together I will be doing alot of drawings thanks for all the help don't stop with the ideas I probably wont be starting this until July then hopefully we can get together and build it

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon May 02, 2011 6:10 am

You want to have some fun with it :lol: Download Google Sketch Up 8 into your computer.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 am

Pete is right. SketchUP is freaking awesome. I designed my sump with it and I was able to really manipulate the location and sizes relative to my stand. Realy helped. Continue to ask questions and we will continue to drive this runaway bus!!! :shock:

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 am

trust me i will ask questions not afraid to and ever since i looked at bluwtr post saying he used it i knew that i needed to download that lol thanks guys trust me any input or questions will not stop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 am

I have not been keeping up much with this thread, sorry for that. But it seems like you are getting input and engaging in brain storming(good thing)
All I can say is I have seen a hundred sumps both in practice and design, I have drawn even more intricate pictures and decades later all I can say is K.I.S.S,
oh yeah some will say so and so does this and such and such says this I I read the best way is this, and they told me this is the best way.....
fine.... again KISS, mine works, mine cost little money or effort, if a portion of mine fails I do not have everything in one box

Lets compare rack stereo to component, NO ONE who knows what they are talking about would ever say the rack is better than the component(well some one would :lol: ), but the best reason is one part goes out, the one can be taken and worked on independent of the others. Dont make something so simple to complicated. We all go through the high tech design phase with our aquariums in the beginning, but in the end the guys who have had tanks for many years KISS

All of the ideas above have merit but one must think further than today or next month, or 2 years plus from now, keep it easy to maintain and work on and you will be happy for many years :thumbup:

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 am

Yeah, what he said, but I've got to add that I'm not suggesting making it complicated by drawing it on SketchUp. I just suggest that so that you can manipulate the size and fit. Here is the way to design it--water in--water processed--water out. No major bells and whistles. Like Gerwin said KISS.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue May 03, 2011 7:30 pm

nor am I suggesting you were my friend :) , when I write I try to make sure those who read it that are not part of our local little group do not get wrong ideas, also my buddy Goalkeeper might get so busy drawing exotic pictures he forgets the basic principles that need to be employed.
As far as sketch up goes, hell I'm down loading it!!! never even seen it before but it looks super cool! Thanks for the enlightenment of those things Google :thumbup:

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 pm

LOL! Never took it that way. :thumbup: Those outside the group just need to get with it and become part of the inner circle! Hey you never know, he may come up with the next generation of sump design and you could be the sole distributer and I could be the sole builder! Yeah, I see $$$$$$$!!!! :roll: