The new 210 gallon!

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: The new 210 gallon!

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 am

Made these pics the other night and thought they were cool... top down shots with all flow off.

FTS

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Scott looks better in person, just looked thru the pics what does it take to get LFS to come hook up sump? French Onion Dip? Hopefully our 300 will look 1/2 as good as yours

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Awesome :shock: Thats one big clam.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Shadow1 wrote:Scott looks better in person, just looked thru the pics what does it take to get LFS to come hook up sump? French Onion Dip? Hopefully our 300 will look 1/2 as good as yours
Convenient location, lots of kissing up, $$$$ and begging are what's worked for me!!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 am

Have a question for you. Your algae scrubber, I have read about these before, but never saw one on anyone's tank that I know. All of the ones I have seen have been DIY boxes that really didn't look all that good, yours on the other hand is a nice looking box, very well made, that I wouldn't mind setting up on my tank at some point. Not at this point though, figured I would have enough on my plate at the start of the new tank, the controller, the water testing, learning the new tank, once I get a routine down, then maybe the algae scrubber. Could you have placed it in your sump area? I am not sure how you are feeding the water to the scrubber, can it be fed off of the manifold system that I made for the reactors, I have one free port coming off of the manifold? I saw in your pics that you are running 4 dosing pumps, I figure you are dosing Cal., Alk. and Mag. what is the fourth thing you are dosing?

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Redfish wrote:Have a question for you. Your algae scrubber, I have read about these before, but never saw one on anyone's tank that I know. All of the ones I have seen have been DIY boxes that really didn't look all that good, yours on the other hand is a nice looking box, very well made, that I wouldn't mind setting up on my tank at some point. Not at this point though, figured I would have enough on my plate at the start of the new tank, the controller, the water testing, learning the new tank, once I get a routine down, then maybe the algae scrubber. Could you have placed it in your sump area? I am not sure how you are feeding the water to the scrubber, can it be fed off of the manifold system that I made for the reactors, I have one free port coming off of the manifold? I saw in your pics that you are running 4 dosing pumps, I figure you are dosing Cal., Alk. and Mag. what is the fourth thing you are dosing?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my algae scrubber. It's the workhorse of my filtration. By far. I don't have to think about phosphate or Nitrate, at all. It's not a hard piece of equipment to maintain. I will never run another system without one. There isn't a single downside to running one and lots of up sides. It can't overstrip your water, you don't have to monitor it or adjust it after set up and it's not hard to clean. I do a quick cleaning every 7-10 days and pull the whole unit and clean it every month and that only takes about 20minutes or so.

They can easily be in the sump, mine is a contained acrylic type that is run off my return pump and dumps straight in my display to save space in the sump area. You need 700+gph to run the type that I have the santamonica100. It takes about 6-8weeks for the screen to fully develop. After it does it will keep your water squeaky clean from nitrate and phosphate as well as increasing 02, reducing heavy metals and promotes pod growth! I have seen Santamonica 100s for sale on very rare occasions for $300-$400 used, new they are nearly $800. But like I said, I don't have to worry or think about Nitrate or phosphate or problem algae. I feed 6+cubes a day, pellets auto 4 times a day, a sheet of nori, and some oyster feast everyday and I have untraceable N and P and no visible algae anywhere in my system.

I currently have 5 1.1ml dosing pumps:
Cal
Alk
Mag (couldn't seem to keep it up)
Vinegar saturated in Kalk
and I dose Dr. Tims ecobalance and wasteaway probiotics on a bi weekly basis with the last one (not sure if it's really helping in any way.. I got these on a promotion just to try it)

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

I feed 6+cubes a day, pellets auto 4 times a day, a sheet of nori, and some oyster feast everyday and I have untraceable N and P and no visible algae anywhere in my system.

Thats alot, granted you have a big tank, but thats alot of food, are you still running a skimmer, the reason I ask, I have read alot of people stop running a skimmer when they use the algae scrubber? Do you clean both sides of the screen, I thought I had read some where that you only clean one side this time and the other the next time you clean the screen? I bet Wess could make one, with his acrylic skills, might have to check into that. Whatcha think Wess?

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Redfish wrote:I feed 6+cubes a day, pellets auto 4 times a day, a sheet of nori, and some oyster feast everyday and I have untraceable N and P and no visible algae anywhere in my system.

Thats alot, granted you have a big tank, but thats alot of food, are you still running a skimmer, the reason I ask, I have read alot of people stop running a skimmer when they use the algae scrubber? Do you clean both sides of the screen, I thought I had read some where that you only clean one side this time and the other the next time you clean the screen? I bet Wess could make one, with his acrylic skills, might have to check into that. Whatcha think Wess?
Yes, I think skimmers are great. My goal is a broad approach to filtration. By having two units that could technically stand alone I have a back up running if one ever fails and I am running a more rounded system. My approach is a skimmer 1.5x my system volume, my algae scrubber and regular water changes. Between those three, I'm covered in all directions. They are simple, effective and easy to maintain. No media to buy, no way to over skim / over algae scrub and no real way your going to over water change. And they are all easy enough, if you set them up right, that you will actually do it.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm sure I could build something. Let me know what it needs to look like and I will draw it up. I will say this though, I am still trying to get an acrylic supplier to give me pricing on materials. The guy in Mobile called me last week and said he would get it to me, but I've yet to hear back from him. I got the name of another company and they have an office in N.O. Called them and had to leave a message--we'll see.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:20 pm

bluwtr wrote:I'm sure I could build something. Let me know what it needs to look like and I will draw it up. I will say this though, I am still trying to get an acrylic supplier to give me pricing on materials. The guy in Mobile called me last week and said he would get it to me, but I've yet to hear back from him. I got the name of another company and they have an office in N.O. Called them and had to leave a message--we'll see.
I can get you the exact plans for the unit I have. He offers them for free to anyone who wants to build there own.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Sure send them to me. I sent you a PM btw Scott.

jjordyyall
Swordtail Member

Post by jjordyyall » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 am

looks great buddy! id love to get some sps frags if you do any fragging let me know

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm

I am selling the HUGE dinner plate sized red monticap on the top left of my tank. Cost only $100!! This thing is plating out in a ton of directions. Only reason I'm selling it is because I have a TON of red cap in the tank and I located a nice mature purple cap!

I have a nice smaller like 2" piece as well for $20.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm open to trades as well. Mostly only looking for hard coral colonies. Would love to find a decent size green monti cap in trade for it.

evo832psi
Discus Member

Post by evo832psi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm

What about purchasing or trading something else for a decent size Green Monti?