Rain Tank... best ATO ever.

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Rain Tank... best ATO ever.

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Rain Tank... best ATO ever.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm

you know what me and Rog see?

a bunch of salt creep!!

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Using RO/DI? Or do you mean from the splash?

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Pretty cool.. but like Gerwin, I see salt creep. Even though it is fresh water. I wonder if anyone did the research to see if there is a benefit to this or if this is just some "cool" idea someone came up with. What would be really COOL would be for this idea to include the entire room the tank is in (except for the rain part), with the sound of thunder with the lightning, and have it during the night hours..... I guess I would have to have a tank in my bedroom for this,, or Lloyd never would get me off the couch... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Sandy wrote:Pretty cool.. but like Gerwin, I see salt creep. Even though it is fresh water. I wonder if anyone did the research to see if there is a benefit to this or if this is just some "cool" idea someone came up with. What would be really COOL would be for this idea to include the entire room the tank is in (except for the rain part), with the sound of thunder with the lightning, and have it during the night hours..... I guess I would have to have a tank in my bedroom for this,, or Lloyd never would get me off the couch... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmm.. I really want to try a diy version of this... But I don't think I'll evaporate enough to run it... I'm thinking a piece of pvc with a series of holes drilled in the bottom setup on a closed loop system to keep it from spraying out of the holes... My led system has the ability to simulate cloud cover and lightning.. and I''m sure i can rig up some thunder!!

By the way.. Post up more pics of your tank Sandy I've only seen teaser shots.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Scott Allen wrote:By the way.. Post up more pics of your tank Sandy I've only seen teaser shots.
I will try to get some more pics up, may take a day or two.

Scott, are you going to be at the dealership on Saturday? My daughter and I are going to be there for the 107.1 thing. I would love to see the tank inside if ya'll don't mind.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Sandy wrote:
Scott Allen wrote:By the way.. Post up more pics of your tank Sandy I've only seen teaser shots.
I will try to get some more pics up, may take a day or two.

Scott, are you going to be at the dealership on Saturday? My daughter and I are going to be there for the 107.1 thing. I would love to see the tank inside if ya'll don't mind.
Sure will!... Though I almost killed everything in it this week... Apparently the heater went haywire and kept going.. Gerwin and Roger came to the rescue this morning.. It's a fowlr setup... I may add a couple Coral Boosters and some mushrooms eventually.

Sandy
Discus Member

Post by Sandy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Glad you guys caught it before things died. Had that happen to me with a pump, I called it a coral boil... :shock: :mrgreen:
We'll see you Sat. around 11:15am or so. :D

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 pm

:wtf: :wtf: wow this is the coolest idea i seen on that was a water fall i thought it was kick ass but this man takes it

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 am

when a bubble goes to the top and pops or water hits water you WILL GET a splash or spritz of water ...= salt creep all over the freak'n place...End of Story.

its a cool thing, hell any gadget is a cool thing, and all it serves is just a GEEWIZ to the tank,
* can I understand why someone would do it? yes
*does it help anything? nope (well ok it can add some missing evaporated water, but if we think like that build a mountain and have a river goto your sump and melt ice to drain to it! :lol: )
*does it create another issue? many, more mess to clean, possible leak points outside system, more money, one more thing to fail / get in the way of maint etc.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 am

G, you are right on all points, but you fail to realize the one and most important things--rich people will buy ANYthing. Nothing but a rich toy for them to show off. They aren't the ones hvaing to clean up, and wory about creep etc. "Geoffrey! Clean this mess up and make my tank look wonderful! The Astors are on their way for croquette!" :shock:

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am

Besides the frame on top... there is nowhere for the salt to creep (lights are probably going to be 14"+ AWL) .. I don't know if I can pull off thunder to go with it. But for about $100 bucks or less I think I can rig this type of ATO up...

I'll post pictures of my success or failure either way hehe.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Besides the frame on top... there is nowhere for the salt to creep
funny I could have swore there were walls near that tank :lol: or how about the top of the tank and sides and back and floor and book case and kitchen counter......... :thumbup:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm

I think someone once said in a movie--"Splash it and it will creep..." :lol: :roll:

Sandy
Discus Member

Post by Sandy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:15 am

Scott Allen wrote:Besides the frame on top... there is nowhere for the salt to creep (lights are probably going to be 14"+ AWL) .. I don't know if I can pull off thunder to go with it. But for about $100 bucks or less I think I can rig this type of ATO up...

I'll post pictures of my success or failure either way hehe.
You go Scott!!! Make it work,,, I can dig out one of my Thunderstorm cd's and burn you a copy. :D