Feeding a Mandarin

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

Feeding a Mandarin

Post by The Langs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

My mandarin is all the sudden not looking very well. I was hoping to get a bottle of copepods this past weekend, but no one had any in stock. I have tried feeding him some mysis shrimp, but he doesn't seem interested in them. Gerwin said he would have some tigger pods in this Thursday.

What else do mandarins eat? I really think he needs something to eat before Thursday.. :(

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Feeding a Mandarin

Post by bluwtr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 pm

If the one you bought was farm raised they will generally eat pellets, but not always. That is one reason to have a well established tank that has a healthy copepods before adding a mandarin. Given the mouth they have they can't eat large items such as mysis. Their mouth is specialized for sucking up pods out of rock crevices. Hopefully you can find some soon.

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 am

Mandarins also have voracious appetites. They are kind of like the hummingbird of aquaria. They can eat a bottle of pods very quickly. They spend the entire day moving and eating. Make sure you have somewhere in the tank the pods can reproduce that the dragonet can't get to them.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:28 am

+1 with Scott's advice. A refugium is the way to go, but not sure if you have a sump or not. If you don't, Gerwin and help you get some thing set up, like a HOB version.

The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

Post by The Langs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I am interested in this HOB deal even though I don't have a clue what that is. As far as the mandarin being farm raised or not I don't know, I bought it from Gerwin. And about the tank needing enough rock and being established, I was told I could put a mandarin in the tank being it is seven months old and it's only a 30 gallon tank with 40lbs of live rock.

What is this HOB deal??

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

The Langs wrote:Thanks for the info. I am interested in this HOB deal even though I don't have a clue what that is. As far as the mandarin being farm raised or not I don't know, I bought it from Gerwin. And about the tank needing enough rock and being established, I was told I could put a mandarin in the tank being it is seven months old and it's only a 30 gallon tank with 40lbs of live rock.

What is this HOB deal??
HOB simply means Hang On Back.

In this case he was referring to a hang on the back refugium to allow the copepods and amphipods reproduce in safety. With a tank your size, it's very difficult to maintain a population of them adequate to support a mandarin for a long period of time. They tend to wipe out the population then slowly starve to death over the period of 4 months or so. If you can't swing a refugium, you can try to crush up some live rock and put it in a net where the pods can get in and out but the fish can't. But really... without a a fuge on that size tank. The mandarin is going to wipe the population out faster than it can reproduce.

You can always view it as a rent-a-fish. Because they are inexpensive... Just keep buying them till you find one that will eat prepared foods.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for clarifying what I said Scott! I couldn't have said it better myself (obviously!!!) LOL!