OK Fishy experts, what am I?

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

OK Fishy experts, what am I?

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:50 am

OK on Saturday as tide was coming in a small reef was exposed on the east side of Long Beach Harbor so I took a walk to it (it actually made my legs feel better in the knee deep water). I found a few Skillet Fish who now reside in the big and little tanks; and a few Goby's were caught and this guy below. His mouth and head remind me of a Trout with the huge mouth and the small and very visible teeth. His coloring is for hiding in the reef and he also rests and elevates himself on his fins. He also does not get along with the current bad boy of the tank who is a big Goby around 2.5 inches. The unknown fish is about 2 inches long.

Any idea what he is? Sorry about the water spots on the glass, that damn tank glass looks really dirty...

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: OK Fishy experts, what am I?

Post by Gerwin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 am

blenny or goby of some sort? not sure but he better be careful that Blue Shark has got it out for him

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:29 pm

So have you got those 55gals and stands still for sale Gerwin? I am considering upgrading these fish into a larger home of just smaller sized fish with only rock crabs since they are not aggressive. Also doing some hard thinking about the 100gal and switching it to a native reef with oyster shells minus the actual oysters, they cloud up the water when matting time comes around. Makes water look like someone put a few cups of milk in the tank.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Since I'm supposed to be the local fish "expert" given my job, I have to say I don't know. It looks familiar to me, but I will have to ask another biologist. When it comes to the small guys like that I'm usually lost. I will get you a positive ID on it thought, just give me a day or two.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Sure thanks, I really love this smaller tank. I am considering and will think through this process but I am considering letting most of my fish go and redo the 100gal with these smaller and very interesting fish. I am thinking about keeping the larger catfish and let everything else go. My only real fear is that these fish know me as a provider of food and I worry about what might happen in the wild. I have been looking for a isolated spot to let these guys go so hopefully they can continue eating and live to a ripe old age. The Spade fish is over a year old and as large as a dinner plate, the cat is also very large yet he doesn't go after food on the bottom of the tank. I have them trained for the lack of better words to come to the top and hand feed all the fish.

If yall think its a bad idea to let them go I guess I'll get a 55gal, stand and set it up for the little surface fish and shrimp.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 am

I got it, I did a search for a knife blenny, nothing, then brackish blenny and loads of pictures came up and my blenny was found. The little man (or little lady) is a Striped Blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus) and at some websites they are 15.99 plus shipping; lol.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 am

55 kits are still on special for 159.00, stands are separate and range from 139.00 and up

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:00 pm

K, still waiting on VA to release my funds, then I will stop by grab a tank, stand like I did the 100gal. I will also pay for ya to drop off like last time, no longer live in apartment I live in a real house now. Thanks Gerwin.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Jocko, you are correct. Checked at the office today and it is a striped blenny. Was a toss up between that and the Florida, but no cercea so it's the striped.

Also, sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it. It says it sent, but it's not in the sent folder.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Sure did get it Wes, I replied. Thank you.

Gerwin I am still waiting on the money, its only a week late now..... geeez