New Tank (Thanks Gerwin and Son)

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

New Tank (Thanks Gerwin and Son)

Post by guitarest » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

OK so I decided against a new guitar amp and pulled the trigger on a new tank. I got to meet Wes and chatted with a few at the store. Some were slightly concerned about Blitz yet over all it was a great visit. So after putting the the sand adding water, bla bla bla..... lol The new residents of the 55gal are former residents of the 10gal and they love the newer tank. Gerwin I love the new filter system it moves some serious water. The residents of the old tank didn't take long to set up shop in the new tank. I also re-enforced something I already knew; the Ford Mustang is one of the best trucks Ford ever made. Tank, salt, 2 bags of sand and my nets were still in the car. I also had to have room for me and Blitz who is a 86lb German Shepherd. I got home and my neighbor helped remove the tank and with my dolly it was easy to move it around the house. Some of the pictures have a blue hue, there was no camera filter or any photo shop tricks. These are from my camera phone which happens to take some decent pictures.

So without further ado.....

Just to the right of the clear pvc you can see the flounder

My Miss Mud Crab checking out the new tank

Here he is again on my DVR remote so you can see how big he really is

One of my fav members of the tank, a real saltwater snail

And I still have not moved this guy over, I know the dinner bells would be ringing with the smaller fish, shrimp and mud crabs

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Re: New Tank (Thanks Gerwin and Son)

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Pretty darn risky adding fish so fast to a new tank... You didn't want to wait and make sure your parameters stayed steady in the new tank?

Anytime I have broken down and set up a tank (even the same tank that just moved down the road) I got a small cycle at least..

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:46 pm

It was 24 hours with the fish, and I don't know most of those rules and never had any issues with my tanks. I used the old tank water and tested the new tank water everything was within the the parameters on the water tester. I don't take it as serious as many here, and never have lost fish (to my knowledge) because of chems being out of whack. Respectfully I honestly believe the more you know the more that can go wrong. I use a pretty easy way to do tanks, set them up run filters for a few hours let the clouds settle and let the new fish in.

Thanks for the comments Scott.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:58 am

so much for taking our time :lol:

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:38 am

Hey for me that was a long time.....

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:50 am

The tank appears to have finished or almost finished with its cycle. It has a new member with the Toad fish or Oyster fish that was moved over yesterday when the larger tank was under going some maintenance of swapping out 30 gal from the 100gal tank. On the large tank (100gal) I have let several of the meaner Blue Crabs go (including the large male) and the tank is no longer a sectional tank. The pin fish actually swims from side to side now rather than just staying in one corner. My big spade fish mistook my thumb as a something offered as food. After the initial scare for both of us, it felt like a huge sheet of fine sand paper.

I tell ya its a great hobby for sure no matter if its fresh, salt or brackish water systems.