Needlefish

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Needlefish

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:51 am

OK Gang here are a few Gulf Needle fish they are eating crisps (compressed flake food by Tetra) already. I have 2 large bills and another who has a smaller bill. I don't know if its a female vs male thing or just a unlucky fish who got his bill broken. While he/she is small it is large enough to see if it was broken off recently. The upper bill wraps over the lower bill just like a gar.

Here is a decent picture of the shorter billed fish.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Needlefish

Post by bluwtr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm

All needle fish. The one with the shorter bill could be from injury or just genetic. Very cool fish, but be aware that they can be jumpers when startled. Don't want any going carpet surfing!

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah I noticed that real quick, luckily the tops on the 55 that Gerwin sold me are a very solid fitting. I am really loving the filter that came with this tank. The tank appears to be finishing with the cycle. I also moved my toad fish to the this tank. So far no one has disappeared. To get the toad fish to eat I have to put a small chunk of shrimp on a bambo stick and run it past the Toad fish and he attacks it. The needle fish are eating better and one ate a small mysis freeze dried shrimp; the fish had a little lump in his stomach for a hour or so; pretty funny.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:26 am

Last night I went to a few honey holes for ghost or glass shrimp that usually have my efforts worth of shrimp to bring home. I came home with maybe 10 shrimp; I dont know where they are hiding at I have been in this native thing for a few years now so I have a few proven areas for those little shrimp. Nothing or just barely enough to keep my fish happy. Prior to the extreme heat and all this rain I was still able to get a few every trip. Although its nothing like it was prior to the BP spill. Many say we dodged a bullet etc.... I disagree especially recently from the spill to all the extreme levels of fresh water and add in the heat and you have what I am experiencing currently. I was able to catch a few kill fish minnows so all the needle fish ate well last night.

Anyone have a spot accessible by foot that might have some ghost shrimp?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Jocko, what are you calling ghost shrimp?

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 am

The little shrimp in the picture......

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I'd have to see them closer, but looks like plain ole brown shrimp. True ghost shrimp are a fresh water species or a very deep burrowing species not found around here. Just FYI.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:42 pm

I stand corrected, I thought they were ghost shrimp; know of any hang outs for them?

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Nah, not really. I'm sure you're hitting the best spots, but I will tell you. Try any kind of emergent vegetation (marsh grass) and grass beds as well as areas that have lights shining down on them at night. Never know what you may catch doing that.

Also Jocko, I haven't forgotten about you. Just working my butt off. We will get in touch though don't worry.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Wes, I spoke with a few of your co-workers yesterday (they knew you well) although I have forgotten their names. They were in Long Beach Harbor looking at boats getting launched and other paperwork; they also grabbed boats returning from fishing and looking at catches. I didn't notice any one getting wrote up but loads of fishermen slightly shook up; lol

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:37 pm

LOL! Yeah, most likely Marine Patrol. Bunch of good guys.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Yup they kidded with taking me to jail having undersized shrimp (I hope they were joking, couldn't tell; lol) and I said its OK have to go to my place to get my meds etc..... The main guy (damn sorry cant remember their names) was laughing and said; "Once your at jail your their problem.....".

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 pm

LOl! Yeah, that is definitely MP. They were joking with you. Like I said, they are a bunch of good guys. They take their jobs seriously, but also have very good descretion. Should have offered them a donut!

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 pm

I'll have to remember that one since its the same guys all the time. I'll have to let them know that you suggested donuts.... lol