Is this normal??

Share Photos of Your Fish and Aquariums
dnoble jr
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Is this normal??

Post by dnoble jr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 am

Okay we have been noticing alot of different beautiful colors in our coralline algae! But on our power heads the coralline algae is turning from our purple to white. completely white...I just want to be sure that this is normal I dont think i have ever seen white before in any other tanks....

Thanks!
Mrs. Noble!

dnoble jr
Swordtail Member

Re: Is this normal??

Post by dnoble jr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 am

I think i may have answered my own question with a little of research. The Coralline Algae must have died. We had a little mishap as our container cracked and all the water we had ready for our water change well went onto our living room floor.... so the water level was down below the power heads for about an hour an half. so this is probably the cause of it. Because it is now dead it is not going to hurt anything else in the tank will it? and i have to admit the white looks rather good!!

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 pm

That makes sense. The other possibility would be a change in lighting. Coraline can bleach under intense lighting. But if it all went white, a die off is very likely.

No, it' won't hurt anything.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 am

dnoble jr wrote:I think i may have answered my own question with a little of research. The Coralline Algae must have died. We had a little mishap as our container cracked and all the water we had ready for our water change well went onto our living room floor.... so the water level was down below the power heads for about an hour an half. so this is probably the cause of it. Because it is now dead it is not going to hurt anything else in the tank will it? and i have to admit the white looks rather good!!
BINGO! you got it and wont hurt anything