Topping off the tank

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Topping off the tank

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey Gerwin is there a way of keeping that crusty stuff off the rim of a tank? you know the stuff that builds up if the water isn't all the way to the top? reason why I am asking is because my 2.5 gallon the hood on its started smelling smoky and like it was gonna catch fire so I took it back were i bought it, (petsmart; yes i know but in my defense I bought it a week after we moved here and i dodn't know about you store) and asked the lady there if I could buy a replacement and she said that she had the same tank and the filter in hers blew up and as far as she knew you could not have anything done for it so I bought a 5 gallon instead to do the same job. baby tank. :clap: and well the filter is really weird its open on the top and no way of closing it, and there is a line about an inch and a half from the top that says don't fill past this point for filter safety, and well I have that crusty stuff building up above it. what do i do? :?:

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Topping off the tank

Post by Gerwin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:40 am

wipe it down, daily so it does not build up. I think if you use some aquarium polish (have more in a week) it may help as it cause moisture to drip down (of course then you could have a mineral drip mark on the tank)....just keep wiping and resolve the problem at the source ie. what is causing the moisture build up and fix it :)

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Ok thanks now I have another question. the filter is so powerful it sucked all but four of my little baby fish in. is there something besides stirfoam that I can wrap around it to stop that? I don't want the stirfoam to start floating around in the water. It ticks me off because I lost my swordtail baby. the mother only had three and now i am down to two. :oops:

Jessi84
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Jessi84 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Put a foam/sponge over the intake and you'll be good :)...can even use a car sponge and put a hole in the middle to slide over the intale tube. I prefer to buy the big yellow ones Gerwin has at the store on the shelf to the right (with the pumps) when you walk in.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Jessi84 wrote:Put a foam/sponge over the intake and you'll be good :)...can even use a car sponge and put a hole in the middle to slide over the intale tube. I prefer to buy the big yellow ones Gerwin has at the store on the shelf to the right (with the pumps) when you walk in.
I'll try it. thanks.

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Sponge should definitely help. I had a problem with ny bubble-tip trying to go in my filter. After the sponge everything was ok.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 am

thanks for you help guys. next time i go into town i will buy a sponge. I am just waitig for the water to set first. I am gonna give it another two weeks.