Observation

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Observation

Post by guitarest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 am

So check this out, I have a smaller tank (39gal) with tropical fish that are store bought and a two tanks with native fish. With this storm upon us all my native fish are freaking out and my store bought tropical freshwater fish are like wow its still kinda dark out side.... The Spades are agitated with the low pressure but the hard head catfish is really freaking out for sure. It would be one thing for this to happen in one tank yet its in both large tanks. The spades are still eating; not as much though. The catfish refuses to eat and he is usually first in line for food. Even my female blue crab is acting strange, the hermit crabs appear to be acting somewhat normal. In the 55 the Oyster fish is kicking up loads of sand trying to go deeper as the weather worsens. Yet the Needlefish appear to use this weather and agitated fish to their advantage; they are eating as much as the Leather jacket right now.

Hows everyone's tanks? Any other fish freaking out or is it just my native fish?

Alrighty heading out it appears I somehow forgot batteries yet remember dog food and water... Duh.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Re: Observation

Post by Bud » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:55 pm

No issues in my 55 gl reef. Nothing native, but they don't seem care. Dog is a different story completly. Good luck.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 pm

I wonder if there is merit to this observation?

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:52 pm

My tank seems fine. Although no native fish are present. It seems logical for the native fish to be a little uneasy. As fish or inverts of local species are adapted to acknowledge and to adjust to these signs. Pretty cool observation I would say. The real question would be what would happen if these tank were moved to the tropics and a storm approached. Possibility the results would be flipped

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:49 am

Must be something to it Steve, storm gone; fish calmed down.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 am

That's pretty cool! All my fish seemed completely unaffected by the storm. Though they seem unaffected by anything but feeding time!

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 am

Now thats funny Scott, yeah mine also get super excited every time I walk by the tank and start to slow down and look at them.

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:31 pm

It's weird how micro environments are still affected by the bigger picture. Another thing that is pretty cool is that depending on how irratic or agitated their behavior is can tell u the severity of the storm. One of my friends recorded turtles nesting higher on the river bed than ever before right before Katrina hit. Maybe fish can also be a warning sign