A Star Polyp problem

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

A Star Polyp problem

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am

I need some help here if there is any to be had with this problem. I have some tiny, reddish, purpleish star polyps in my tank. For reference, Gerwin has a bunch of these in his tank at the store, I am guessing that this is where I got these, they are like a weed, in my tank they are contained to one piece of live rock. The problem, they are growing around some nice looking zoas that I kinda like, maybe 40 or 50 polyps, that started with only about 4 polyps, they aren't killking the zoas, but the are preventing them from sprearding. I have gone so far as to take a wire brush to these things and even that won't get rid of them. A side note here, I would take the LR out of the tank, wire brush the rock, then wash the rock off with RO water before putting the rock back into the tank. When the lights are off in the tank, you can't even see them, they shrink up. How can I kill them? I am afraid they will spread in my tank, this I don't want. Posting this is a last resort, the rock is about to come out of the tank and sit in the sun till they and the nice zoas are dead.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: A Star Polyp problem

Post by bluwtr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

Pete, can you post a pic of the polyps?

You may have to frag the Zoa's and cook the rock. The way I understand to frag Zoa's is use fine tip tweezers (disection forceps) and tease them off of the rock, then glue them to a new rock. Of course, use gloves and eye protection since they can/will squirt toxins. I'm sure there is a video on YouTube for it.

HTH

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 pm

they are a form of Sympodium, have not seen them be a problem for anything, but I might could see them taking the same place as Zoas might wanna spread to, evry coral I sit on them dominates them and the recede. I am sure folks would love to have the rock as everyone wants to buy mine!

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 am

Definitely don't kill the whole rock!! What color are the zoas? Maybe one of us has a comparable rock to trade without the sympodium!

Dragont
Angel Member

Post by Dragont » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 am

I say frag and salvage wutever zoas u can and trade the rock in with gerwin for some store credit.. Lol... Somebody will pick it up. Im bout to scrape the GSP off my overflow and get rid of it before it gets outta hand and takes over too.

By the way did those palys ever open up pete? The nuke greens are doing just fine...

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:22 am

Yes, they opened up and are very nice, thanks again. I am going to try and frag a few of the zoas this week end as far as the star polyps are what ever they are, wouldn't wish them on anyone. They aren't that good looking and are just to hard to get out of the tank. Have yo treid posting a pic yet :)

Dragont
Angel Member

Post by Dragont » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:52 am

yes would u like to see my tyree bubblegum monster growth pics? i'll start a new thread...