Thinking about a change

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Thinking about a change

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:31 am

I am not happy with my tank :( and am looking to make some changes and for some advice. I have two problems I want to deal with: First is a detritus problem, I am sure this is spelled wrong, another word for it would be gunk, the second problem is a (sp) cryno algae problem. The algae problem isn't as big problem as it has been in the past, but its still there. Sooo, what I am thinking about is too remove about a third of the live rock in the tank, there isn't as much rock as there appears in the pic, the rock is aire behind the front layer giving the fish pleny of places to hide and sleep at nite and putting at least one EcoTech MP40 in the tank. I have cut back on the amount of food I feed the fish in the tank and that doesn't seem to have helped with the cryno problem,well it has helped, just not 100%, so I am thinking I have a flow problem, as in not enough. I really hate :roll: taking out the rock, less rock means less places to put :lol: corals, maybe the MP40 would cure the problem, I know the MP40 would cure the detritus problem and allow my skimmer to get it out of the system. What do ya'll think? Thats about as good :( a full tank pic as I can take, so don't ask for another.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Thinking about a change

Post by bluwtr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:37 am

Hey Pete, both the detritus and cyano problems are flow related and related to each other. Cyano loves low flow and higher nutrients. Detritus (ie nutrients) can't be exported without proper flow, so yes, I think your idea about getting and MP40 would be great. I don't know that your rock is a problem unless it creates holes that water can't flow through, which of course traps crap (literally). From everything I've read, a surging type flow is the best for detrital removal and we all know the MP40's can do that.

You can also blast your rock and areas underneath with a turkey baster or small power head to get gunk off/out and into the water column and thus into the return and through the skimmer.

HTH and good luck.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info and I will be getting the MP40

Dragont
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Dragont » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey pete a friend of mine has one for sale. I'll ask him for price if ur thinking about lookin for a used one but I believe he wants something like $350.

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm

I would leave the rock alone. Start with the pump and give it a few weeks. You may find that the flow alone is enough to solve your problems.

Another trick is if you still have a good bit of gunk but don't want or need to change any more water. You can take your siphon from your display into your sump through a 1 micron sock and get some detritus out that way.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:22 am

Scott Allen wrote: Another trick is if you still have a good bit of gunk but don't want or need to change any more water. You can take your siphon from your display into your sump through a 1 micron sock and get some detritus out that way.
Thats a great idea,, never thought of that. I got the MP 40 yesterday, boy was that a pain. Gerwin gave me the number to EcoTech and I was on the phone for about a half an hour with them and we got it working. The problem I was having was getting the thing set up for the thickness of the glass on the tank, after gettting it dialed in, no problems. Now all I need is a battery back up or two, to go with it :D