VorTech Pump Problem

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

VorTech Pump Problem

Post by Redfish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 am

I sent VorTech support an email, waiting for a reply from them and figured I would post here to see if anyone else had this problem. Pump has worked fine for two days, no problems, then about three this morning, laying in bed I heard it. The dry side is making a noise I can best describe as crickets chirping or bearings needing grease. Anyone have a clue, I have it turned off at this time and my stand by pumps back in the tank.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: VorTech Pump Problem

Post by Redfish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Ok, more info for ya'll, was on the way out of the door to work this morning so I didn't have much time to play with it. Here we go,, I took the wet side out of the tank, held the dry side in my hand and pluged it in, no chirping sound. The wife said to put the dry side up against the glass and see what would happen, I did, chirping was back, took the dry side away from the glass, the chirping stopped. Any ideas now. I don't think its a bearing now though so thats good news, but I hurried up filled out the warranty registration :lol: on line.

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Very strange. Ecotech has EXCELLENT customer service. So I wouldn't expect you to have any issues getting a replacement. Sounds like a defective unit.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:03 pm

There is something that I didn't do, and am wondering if this could be the problem. I didn't peal off the instructions from the dry side. The instructions that tell to what to set the unit at for the thickness of your glass, was I supposed to do this? I want to make sure before I peel this off.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Shouldn't make any difference at all. It works through magnets that are already going through rubber, plastic, and glass. A sticker should have no effect what so ever.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 am

I may have the answer :D :D Acroholic Reefer on Reef 2 Reef asked me if I had the rubber pad between the wet side and the glass :shock: :shock: :? :? the answer, no I have the rubber pad between the dry side and the glass. I will try that this morning when the tank lights come on and let you know how that turns out. Could it be that simple.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 am

Thought that was the answer, but it wasn't. Worked fine for about 20 min. then it started again.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:41 am

I have moved the gasket back to the dry side and moved the pin setting to 1/2 inch glass setting. It has been running for 1/2 hour with no problems, but it ran almost 48 hours before I started having problems the first time, have my fingers crossed though. I am not for sure on how these things work but this is what I think is or was happening. I think the dry side for some reason was binding somehow against the glass. I am not going to touch this thing right now, don't want to jink anything but I would almost bet money that if I were to take my finger and press the dry side up against the glass right now, the chirping sound would come back.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm

I have my spacer on the dry side with no issues. I am pretty sure that's the intended usage.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Dry side for me too , Monday shout at echo tech, they will get you back on track. Their expertise on this subject of troubleshooting way out weighs my knowledge , mainly because not a single one I have sold has had any issue, so I have little experience resolving issues

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 am

Still working fine :D

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:41 am

Well, woke up this morning and the pump was doing it again, not real loud as before, but doing it none the less. I moved the dry side a bit and it went away. The email from the company rep told me that a pin in the dry side setting is most likely bent. I told him it has been working great for the last two days and no worries at this time. He said if a pin gets bent, it causes a bind on the magnet. He told me to look at the pins and see if one was bent, to my eyes they look normal, but that dosn't mean much, my eyes are for squat.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:04 pm

:roll: :roll: :shh: Found out what the problem with the pump is, was, :roll: When I put the cover back on from setting the tank glass thickness, I mashed one of the rubber pins down and it didn't go into the hole, dang I feel stupid. I straighten the pin back out and got it in the hole, and so far so good. Britt said this may or may not work and a replacement cover is on the way to me :thumbup:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Pete, your luck sounds about like mine. Hope you get it straightened out.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 am

bluwtr wrote:straightened out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems to be working, I thought it was a pretty quite pump when I had it working before, now that the pin is straightened out, its really working good. :D