OMG Needle fish

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

OMG Needle fish

Post by guitarest » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I know in the wild these guys are very much a aggressive ambush predator, although their actions in the tank are amazing. When they grab food is really interesting. First in the tank (55) they are not the largest fish although they are above average in size. When I feed them either small live shrimp or cut shrimp they are real passive to other tank mates except for the item they are going to attempt to consume. They will grab the item and to move it around in their mouth they do a quick backwards or forwards rush and use the water to assist moving the item. After the item is either close to dead or positioned to consume then they do a real cool thing. In one quick move they open their jaws, and move forward quickly and actually use the water pressure to force the item down their throat. I just watched the larger of the two needle fish consume a huge piece of cut shrimp. The item was actually larger than his head. After around 20 minutes of maneuvering the final attempt to eat the shrimp happened. I have had to actually save other fish who have had eyes bigger than their stomachs by removing food from their mouths so they can breathe again since the gills were blocked from the flow of water. In fact today the Striped Blemmy did exactly that today. A quick nudge of the stick I use to move food and it dislodged the shrimp bit and he was able to swallow it. Every day these fish continue to amaze me.

In the larger tank the Sea Robin and those Sailfin Cat fish are as amazing today as the first day they arrived. The Sea Robin uses his pec fins very much like a bird in flight. The Sailfin Cats can and do eat items as large as they are. Its frigging funny to see they little bellies so huge that when they rest on the bottom of the tank you can pivot them like a see-saw.

FYI, on 09/30 and 10/01 USM and their Marine Research Lab are doing a Shark Fest. Basically Friday is class room exhibits and Saturday you go out in their ship and catch and tag sharks. I am so excited about this trip; they have a few slots left open for those wanting to go. Just think go out catch sharks on rod and reel; tag and release.

I wonder if I can talk them into keeping a pup?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: OMG Needle fish

Post by Gerwin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:33 am

sounds pretty cool

guitarest
Discus Member

Re: OMG Needle fish

Post by guitarest » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 am

They are, I have the one thats left (two got eaten by the toad fish) to eat from my hand and pull shrimp from a bamboo stick. Really cool fish for sure.