Does this apply to this hobby too?

Your Host Shares His Random Thoughts and Observations
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Does this apply to this hobby too?

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 pm

"The Credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who at his worse, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat"
Teddy Roosevelt

I think so,
its for all those folks who are worried about if they can do a fish tank, or reef tank (they all heard it was so hard),
for all those folks who had something go wrong and felt it was easier to quit than try again only do it better.

This quote or variants of it with same meaning have been around forever, they hit home with me, not sure why.....maybe my up bringing, maybe just my mind set, giving up on something I enjoy or hate is really not a option for me, just because I am not good at it in the beginning is no reason to quit.
And I am sure its why I will not give up trying to help any of you as long as you are willing not to be beat by that puddle of water in front of you we call a fish tank.

Thanks to all of you who stick in there with Roger, ME and OUR HOBBY

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Does this apply to this hobby too?

Post by bluwtr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:43 pm

:clap:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:14 am

Gerwin wrote:"The Credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who at his worse, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat"
Teddy Roosevelt
just because I am not good at it in the beginning is no reason to quit.

I would also add : Just because you may fail, is no reason to not to try.

I have always thought that keeping a SPS tank with my little experience in the hobby, might be over my head and is doomed to failure. I am probably right, but I am going to give it a go with the new tank. If I fail so be it, but I at least will have given it a shot. Since getting into this hobby I have always thought that keeping an SPS tank as the panicle of our hobby. I feel you have to kinda know what you are doing to keep these corals for the long term. Do I think I know enough, not on your life, but I think I can be in the ball game at the start and hopefully get the answers to keep me on track before I kill everything, if not, back to a mixed reef softie tank.

don
Angel Member

Post by don » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 am

the THANKS go to Roger and Gerwin! in my opinion,you two guys have made it easier for me to be successful in this hobby. :thumbup:

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 am

My favorite quote of all time is a variant of the same.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Powerful words that incite the drive to try the challenging in spite of the fear of failure.

dnoble jr
Swordtail Member

Post by dnoble jr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I am sure its why I will not give up trying to help any of you as long as you are willing not to be beat by that puddle of water in front of you we call a fish tank.
and for me and donald LITERALLY we had a mishap and had 10 gallons of water not in the tank though but ON OUR FLOOR!!! things happen, gotta get up and keep going.
Haha.. I thought that my husband was crazy for wanting to get into this hobby! Just another thing to throw money into. But to be honest with everyone I AM MORE ADDICTED TO IT THAN HE IS!!! and if i can keep maintenance up on our 65 gal reef tank with water changes, ect. then well i think just about anyone can. With the easy access of knowledge with of course Gerwin and Roger and all the help we have from eachother just on this forum we can all get through it.

With that said... we are already ready to get another tank bigger and crazier, acrylic, bullnosed tank just for FISH 120 gal maybe... hmmm well i will just have to keep this one a dream for the time.. :wave:

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Gerwin wrote:
Thanks to all of you who stick in there with Roger, ME and OUR HOBBY
Thank you to You and Roger for putting up with all of our bull.... well you know what I mean!!! :mrgreen:

Dragont
Angel Member

Post by Dragont » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 am

Redfish wrote:
Gerwin wrote:"The Credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who at his worse, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat"
Teddy Roosevelt
just because I am not good at it in the beginning is no reason to quit.

I would also add : Just because you may fail, is no reason to not to try.

I have always thought that keeping a SPS tank with my little experience in the hobby, might be over my head and is doomed to failure. I am probably right, but I am going to give it a go with the new tank. If I fail so be it, but I at least will have given it a shot. Since getting into this hobby I have always thought that keeping an SPS tank as the panicle of our hobby. I feel you have to kinda know what you are doing to keep these corals for the long term. Do I think I know enough, not on your life, but I think I can be in the ball game at the start and hopefully get the answers to keep me on track before I kill everything, if not, back to a mixed reef softie tank.
Well guys(pete) i'm not bragging by all means, but i literally had my whole system dropped on to me last december with no knowledge, whatsoever, about keeping a saltwater reef aquarium. I am now proudly keeping a mixed reef and getting excellent growth out of most if not all of my corals. Now I wouldn't consider that long term but, I humble myself and take advice where ever i can get it(thank you gerwin and roger). I never think about failure. If something's not going right don't give up until you've solved the problem and know when to cut your losses. I'm sure you'll do great! you can always call on me for some starter pieces..