Your Favorite random tool

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Your Favorite random tool

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Just thinking of some of the household items / strange things that I use to work and mess with my tank brought to mind all the other cool things people may have found a use for in there tank.

For me:
Turkey Baster! - to feed, to blow off corals and to clean salt spray off the overflows.
Tweezers with long handle for grabbing things
Red solo cups. Place them over a coral then pump food onto the cup, allows the food to stay over the coral and keeps the fish away for a bit!!

List your favorite tools that you use in the hobby!

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Your Favorite random tool

Post by bluwtr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:14 pm

IV syringe. Has a plastic "needle" that is used to flush IV lines and such. They are 10ml capacity and work great for water testing to suppliments to whatever else. Never have to guess or try and eyeball amounts.

TJW68
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Mixed reef 100 Gal with 30 long sump.(Reef octopus skimmer, Pharos LED's, Koralia power heads and SmartWave Wave Pump Timer, Reef Oct Return Pump, & a heater.
2nd tank is 36 gallon bow front LPS Reef(fluval 305, Reef Oct HOB 2000, 120 Watt PC)

Post by TJW68 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 am

never thought of the solo cup, I like that idea, instead of turning off all the power heads and what not. No special tools, my wife works in a lab so i have all different sizes of sryinges that i use for various things. I attached a rigid tube to one so i can target feed everything.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am

I thought of a couple more!

I had a lion fish for a while and now have a Peacock mantis shrimp. I also have been bit by my maroon clown quite a few times.. Plastic sandwich meat container. I have to catch my female clown everytime I even stick a finger in the tank. It's clear so they can not get a good idea of what comes next. Non-essential to reefing but essential to avoid blood loss from me.

Stainless Steel Tea Infuser. Put frozen food in it inside a plastic dixie cup in the fridge and the next day the phosphate and nitrate laden juices are gone but nutrients are retained. (Thawing in tank water quickly removes a lot of the vitamins). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tea_i ... _Pengo.jpg

Puppy training pads. When fragging, the absorbant side wicks off tank water and coral mucus. The other side is plastic so it prevents the coral for making a mess. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/31590 ... _pads.html

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I REALLY like the idea of the tea diffuser. I will have to try that. I also feed mysis to my LPS and RBTA's so I would still have to drop them in some tank water so that I could suck them into the baster, but getting ride of the junk associated is perfect. :thumbup:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 pm

algae magnets

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Gerwin wrote:algae magnets
True..

Maglight. So I can see the night life!